• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A few questions before I purchase a suspension setup

Rjackson32

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to revamp my currently stock 98 xj. I want to give it a slight lift, 3 - 4.5 inches but the problem is I know almost nothing about trucks. All my suspension knowledge lies in making sports cars....lower. So, becasue this isnt my forte, I dont know what to expect. If I stay with the stock wheels, and put 31 / 9.5 GT Savero tires with a Rusty's 3 inch lift kit will I have a daily driving vehicle? Will it be sloppier than with stock suspension with notcibly more body roll?

Lastly, with the kits that rusty offers, https://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2...GY&Store_Code=rustys&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit
what is the difference between the 3" Spring Pack Kit and the 3" XJ Add-A-Leaf Kit?

If i want more DD capability vehicle, which kit is better for me? Also, does this kit come with EVERYTHING? Sorry for all the newbie questions.

Also, what do you guys think of wheel spacers to make it look better or will this induce too much rubbing?

a 3" spring pack replaces your entire spring pack while a 3" add a leaf will add 1 more leaf to give the leafs more "boost" and give you 3" of lift. A full spring pack is better then an AAL, but if its just DD you may get away with just an AAL. If you do go with that kit, you will probably need pinion shims to level out the pinion angle. Also, longer u-bolts will probably be required due to the extra spring pack height with the shims and AAL. Both are pretty inexpensive and can be purchased on Rusty's site. You shouldnt have a rubbing problem with 3" and 31's, i would really avoid wheel spacers if i was you. IMO, go with the AAL.

Thank you sir. That was exactly the answer I was looking for. Keep em comming.

On Rustys website it says....* New U-bolts are not included as the stock ones are plenty long. They can be purchased seperately if desired.

What should I do? Also, what are pinion shims?

Last edited:
pinion shims sit on your spring perch, which is what the leafs rest on, and change the drive shaft angle. when you lift your jeep the angle of the driveshaft will be off which is not very conducive to high RPM's. when i put my 4" AAL kit on my u bolts had about 1 thread in.. not safe. splurge on some new ubolts and get them long enough that they will last you through any lift.

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/...&Product_Code=SHIM-A&Category_Code=sus_xj_par

Will do. Thank You. Looks like im going to go with 31 / 9.5 / 15 and Rusty's 3' AAL, 3 degree pinion shims, and longer U bolts. Anything else to worry about? I dont want to run into any problems on install. Also, are the instructions that come with the kit any good? Is there a better DIY on the forum somewhere?

you can start PB blasting some bolts that you think youll have to remove to make removal easier. As far as a DIY guide, there are a bunch of writeups for lifts very similar, try searching yahoo or the forum here. Im assuming the instructions for the kit will be pretty descriptive but if you have a problem search here then post or call rusty, i hear they are pretty helpfull

2" and 1.5" are block lift kits. Just get the $7 HD grade-8 u-bolts if you aren't going to reuse the old ones.

A few things that you might want to do a search for before you start (the info is on this forum somewhere).

- T-case drop vs. slip yoke eliminator
- Front brake line relocation
- Rear shock upper mount bolts

Back