• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

semi-urgent - need advice with front end issue

Hey all -
I have a clicking, cracking, crunching type noise coming from the passenger side up front. Only with tight turns, so mainly at lower speeds. I searched and most have said it's the U-joint. I popped the wheel off and when the wheels are pointed straight, no big deal, when turned to the side though, it crunches or clicks away as I rotate the wheel. And, I can feel some resistance too as I rotate the wheel when they are turned to the side. The bearing is tight and turns smoothly when wheels are pointed straight. Could it be the hub not disengaging and not the u-joint?

THE PROBLEM - I have to make a 500 mile round trip this weekend - all highway - should I risk it or not? The noise has been there the last 4 days or so. What might happen if something breaks - catastrophe? It's a big dilemma - it really makes no sounds at all at speed on a higyway-type road. In the parking lot though, makes a lot of racket.

Any advice in a pinch would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

langer1 said:
U-Joints. The hubs don't disconnect.
X2. I say don't drive it. I just had the same thing, and after taking them out and seeing the condition of them, I can't believe I was driving my wife and two young boys in it.

onebluemcm said:
for how long before you fixed them were you aware of a problem? This trip I have to make is really important but if there is substantial risk of failure, I guess I will have to cancel

If your not using 4wd they should run a long time like that. Make sure they are not loose only getting stiff.
I have been driving all winter like that wanting for some warm weather to fix mine.

I agree with langer1 that they should last a while, but I have to think a little differently about the safety of some things now that I have kids.

just in case anybody comes across this thread in the future.....

Drove a soild 500 miles on it this weekend and no problem at all. Only continues to make the clicking noise during low-speed, sharp turns. And, you can feel a slight pulsation in the wheel during those tight turns, which I think is the U-joint binding a bit. FYI Later.

Back