• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4WD QUESTION

MrShaft696

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first vehicle with part time 4wd, if im in part time and i do like a U turn everything starts clunking a bit is this normal? I assume its because of how the front and rear driveshafts lock together or something along those lines thanks

DO NOT USE PART TIME 4WD ON PAVEMENT
Clear enough?
You will cause transfer case damage if you use part time 4WD on a surface that is not loose. The wheels have to be able to slip a bit, and you are correct that it is because the driveshafts get locked together.

87manche said:
DO NOT USE PART TIME 4WD ON PAVEMENT
Clear enough?
You will cause transfer case damage if you use part time 4WD on a surface that is not loose. The wheels have to be able to slip a bit, and you are correct that it is because the driveshafts get locked together.

right on, maybe if you used more caps lock. So as soon as you get off the trail or anywhere you dont need 4wd its best to put it back in 2hi

I like caps lock, it makes me happy.
I just had to stress the importance of that, if you use part time on a hard surface you will cause the entire drivetrain to bind up, the popping noises you were hearing are likely u-joints, or even the chain in the t-case itself stretching.
bad things will happen.
You are correct about going back to 2 hi, anytime you're not on a slippery or loose surface that's what you should be in.
Check out Jeep's website and look at the 4wd system for the liberty, the XJ and KJ share the same t-case systems, and it's very informative about when and how to use the system properly.

In a turn all 4 wheels spin at different speeds. The differentials front and rear take care of the speed differences left and right, BUT, the T-Case in your XJ does not have a differential to take care of speed difference front and rear. So yea, you kinda of got the concept already, with front/rear driveshafts locking.

If the wheels are being forced to spin at different speeds, but they are being driven at the same speed, what going to happen?? What 87Manche said! Either the tires are going to slip on the pavement, chewing them up, and they are going to feed force back into the drivetrain and stress it greatly, and at the very least creating a lot of premature wear, and even breaking parts.

When your on loose surface the tires can slip without feeding force back into the drivetrain and creating all those problems.

Go to the JEEP website and view the animation about how JEEP 4x4 systems function and when to use them. The animation is for the Liberty, but the Liberty and Cherokee have the same 4x4 systems.
Jeep 4x4x systems animation

Back