• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj vrs toy

norcaldude

NAXJA Forum User
i own a 89 xj bone stock for now. my buddys have toyotas with about 8" inchs of lift each and i was wonder what do i need for my cherokee to keep up with them or blow them away?

What do you say guy's. I'd estimate about $6k to $8k. Lockers & lower gears, 4" to 6" lift depending on how much fender trimming, tires & wheels, etc.

You would probably have more power than any 4cyl Toy's, but they still may be able to go over some obstacles that you could not.

87xjco said:
What do you say guy's. I'd estimate about $6k to $8k. Lockers & lower gears, 4" to 6" lift depending on how much fender trimming, tires & wheels, etc.

You would probably have more power than any 4cyl Toy's, but they still may be able to go over some obstacles that you could not.
It all depends on the terrain and the driver: I've seen someone with a rig that had about 5~6" of lift on 35's with 4.56's and open diffs running circles around really well built toy rigs.

Are we talking about solid axle trucks (79-85) or ifs rigs? If its solid axle they are quite hard to beat in terms of bang for the buck. If were talking ifs (86+) then they might have a very tall ride heght but thats about it. Every ifs truck I have wheeled with here in colorado had trouble keeping all four tires on the ground on fairly simple inclines and wash outs. The xj is a solid rig to begin with. My advice is to take a trip with all the trucks with your sway bars off and see what parts they might have trouble with and plan your build from there.

The main advantage that the toy guys have is the capability to put lower gears in their stock axles than any XJ with stock axles can do....having said that...if the toy guys are limited to 4.88's and 33's or 35's and stock transfer cases, it should be about equal if both or neither rigs have lockers...we have a few toy guys that have straight axles and they do quite well in the mud...the IFS guys dont do nearly as well....but in the end...setup and skill make the most difference around here (in the mud).

We recently got an obstacle course/rock garden at the local mud bogg...certainly nothing like out west for sure...but a lot of fun anyways...the only guys that have cleared it have been myself, a couple of guys with well built Wranglers, one early Toy with lockers and a couple of Mega Trucks...but they don't count...they have terra tires and I can walk under 'em without stooping down...:shocked:

TNT Ylink suspension setup, 35s, front locker, lower gears, and knowledgeable driving and an XJ can keep up with just about anything.

I have two friends with 4Runners, both of which have solid axle conversions. I can't tell you how impressed I am with the way their vehicles perform (Both have Alcan springs, Marlin Crawlers, and 5.29 gears with lockers). I have had two solid axle Toy's in the past, but decided to build an XJ because of more power and more room for my family.

LOWTECH said:
JEEP, TOY, DODGE RAM, BRONCO, BLAZER all the same once ya build up just a mater of choice.

BS :rolleyes:

Different weights. Different widths. Different drivetrains. Different suspensions. Different creature comforts. ALL different.

Its all a matter of a WISE choice :D

Capt. Nemo said:
BS :rolleyes:

Different weights. Different widths. Different drivetrains. Different suspensions. Different creature comforts. ALL different.

Its all a matter of a WISE choice :D

All I'm saying is whatever makes you HAPPY :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

XJhabitat said:
bumpstop it, skid it up, lock it......go crawlin
off topic....

I had a 74' full size chevy 4wd set up and built for rough hill climbing. It was bullet proof. (read $$$$) Plenty of people wanted to race me, I said gladly up to the top of that mountain! Never got any takers! Had a lot of fun in that old truck! 4wheel granny gear it would crawl up on its own without touching the gas pedal. 350 4 bolt main, 450 built turbo tranny, blah blah.....

Looking forward to having even more fun in my Jeep! (someday!)

no, what yOU just said was off topic.

put a 8'' longarm on your rig, alxes gears, lockers, drivetrain. tires and you;ll blow them away

skyjackedxj96 said:
no, what yOU just said was off topic.

put a 8'' longarm on your rig, alxes gears, lockers, drivetrain. tires and you;ll blow them away
Ah thats what I meant! :) Most other forums im in start the thread with "off topic" to mean "the following is off topic". Sorry for the confusion.

Hello,

I have an '87 xj and an '83 Toy shortbed. The xj has a 3" lift to clear the 31's. The Toy easily clears the 31's stock. The Toy is narrower and has less body to worry about on narrow trails, and the body has much more clearance from the ground (even compared to the xj with 3" lift. However, I can't fit the family in the Toy!

to make a cherokee as a capable as a toyota expect it to cost 2- 3 times as much money , i know the majority of the people are gonna wanna argue for 3 yrs about that statement but its from experience. i had a toy on 38.5 boggers with cross over, dual cases, custom tranny cross member, frt and rear custom spring hangers, and rear springs up front and xj springs out back. total investment including vehicle price was under 3,000$. for an xj to keep up with that ive got 3000$ in parts alone and its still in the garage waiting for more parts.

im a jeep guy buy if you want to wheel hard for as litttle money as possible theres no comparison, toy all the way. that being said ive owned 4 xjs and 1 toy truck and im back to an xj simply becuase i like the way they look, the 4 seats, and its a jeep the first vehicle i ever owned. the axles are twice as good as xj axles

I agree with 88rockxj. My buddy's TRD Taco' can go places I can't even get close to. I could match him, but it'll take me about $2-3k more to do it.
EDIT: Other than his TRD package, they're both pretty stock. Mine actually has more mods than his.

Back