• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Flat Top's

ExNews4XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I am working on a HP44 and was told that in order to do high steer I would need either Chevy or Wagoneer Flat Top knuckles because ford knuckles did not have enough material to machine. While at the wrecking yard yesterday I pulled the knuckles, spindles, rotors, calipers, and brackets off of a 74' Cherokee full-size. But everything is six lug And my rear axle is 5x5.5 so my question is what do I need to convert this to 5x5.5. I noticed a Dodge Ramcharger also in the yard appeared to have flat top knuckles with 5x5.5 bolt pattern. So my question is will the knuckles and all from the ramcharger work on my 44.

If you use Chevy small bearing spindles, Chevy calipers and brackets with your waggy/J truck knuckles -- you can use Ford hubs and rotors and retain a 5 on 5.5 pattern.

EDIT - oops, holy double post batman!

Not that it matters now that you have your knuckles, but there is a Ford flat-top which will work just fine for high steer. That is if you don't mind going to a 16+ wheel to fit the dual piston calipers it comes with.

Those are the ones I'm thinking of. 8 lug. Flat top. Dual piston calipers. If a person could fit single piston calipers on the thing (allowing the use of a 15" wheel), I think they would be more popular.

Just for kicks, I tried throwing on a spindle from one of my 78 Bronco axles and the spindle bolts right up. That means the caliper and hub would also bolt right up providing a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, but you wouldn't be able to fit the accompanying single piston calipers and I don't know what the fit would be like with the dual piston calipers clamped on that rotor. The stub shaft may or may not be an issue as well.

i know exactly what your talking about. i tried to think of the same ideas before we just left it and went with 16.5'' rims with the 8 lug

Yes you can use the flat tops from the Dodge Ramcharger. This is the easist way to get a 5on5 bolt pattern. Just use all the Dodge stuff from knuckles out including brakes.

Not sure why everyone else seems to think they need to go thru all the work of mixing and matching Chev/Ford stuff.

Ok well using the link posted above I got every thing to work. I ended up using the knuckles, spindles, caliper brackets, and calipers from a 74' Jeep Cherokee FSJ and the hubs, bearings, and rotors from a 80 Full-size Bronco. Over all it was very easy once I knew what parts I needed and everything just bolted together with no modification.

ExNews4XJ said:
Ok well using the link posted above I got every thing to work. I ended up using the knuckles, spindles, caliper brackets, and calipers from a 74' Jeep Cherokee FSJ and the hubs, bearings, and rotors from a 80 Full-size Bronco. Over all it was very easy once I knew what parts I needed and everything just bolted together with no modification.
Sorry to dig this up but do you happen to know what bearings were used in the hub? Part numbers ect.?

Back