• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need **TIGHT** radius bends in exhaust tubing

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
I hate exhaust.

Damn thing is in the way of my planned upper wishbone front suspension....

damn thing is in the way of everything I'm planning....

I have no idea what I will do, and what the new route will be, but I know I'm gonna need some tight freakin bends!

I remember seeing a place (besides chassissop) that had tubular donuts that you could cut to size as needed. I have no idea how they make those tings, but they have some crazy tight radii.....

any clues?

You can find the super tight bent up U's at your local race shops that build headers. My guy has about 30-40 of various diameters hanging from his ceiling for the headers he builds. Can't remember where he orders them from though.

Tim hit's a point...

nothing shameful about a 6:1 header through the hood...put a rain flap on it if you are lazy or just use an old soup can tied off so it won't blow away... :dunno:

You can buy 'doughnut' and cut them as you need. They are pretty much what the name implies, factory build circles that you cut to get the radius you need.Most any performance shop can help you find what you need. Don't sweat the exhaust...its the least of your worries!!! You wouldn't believe what I have seen come out of average joe type garages.....

One Wong,

I'm not talking j-bends or U-bends....those are usually 4" inside rad..... Hell, I can make those im my shop....I'm talking about those crazy 1-2" inside radius donuts.........can't remember where I saw-em.

Aw, hell if I can't find them, I'll just run 2" dia EMT pull elbows!

beezil,
thats funny i just did a search on those exhaust donuts the other day. the chassic shop was the only place i could find them (and they don't make them,just sell them) i even called on a good freind of mine JERE STAHL of STAHL headers, and he has no idea either. if you find another source let me know. i need some for a intake system..

scot

you guys are making me hungry....

btw, learning all about tight bends...for a roll cage...

mac 'cracked my first beer at 2am' gyvr

One Swag,

I figured out what I need to do.....

run the exhaust down the drivers side rail.....brake and fuel lines go to the other side.....its the only way.....no room to crossover......

now there's no need for a sneaky exhaust routing.....

jeeps sittin on its coils now....progress.

frame mounts this week hopefully.

Candle boy, You could bring the fuel and brake lines inside the cab (in essence) and not worry about having 8-10' of extra tubing. Just build a small box to cover them up. That's what I'm thinking of doing for my brake line. Gas line is gonna be a whole other problem once the cell is in. I think I may use braided stainless the whole distance for the fuel.

My rear suspension is completely designed ( I think). Gotta do some more design work for changing the cage now.

Beezil,

Just curious as to what your doing on your XJ?? To me it sounds like your building a Hot Rodded street XJ which is an awsome idea. Anyway if thats the case, i have no idea what your planning for your front setup and exhaust but i'm assuming you can't crossover because of clearance issues? if thats the case then why does ground clearance matter anyway for a streeter? i've seen camaro's and stangs and vettes, imports and such with the piping and mufflers litterally just a few inches off the ground. If i'm wrong with what your planning than just dis-regard my post.

eric

Hey...how about using sch. 10 short radius buttweld 90 els.? I can get my hands on some easily....stainless no less and just tig em' together and butt weld away...PS I also sent you a PM about your suspension. Later.

ChassisShop is the only place i know of too. If you found them there, why not buy them there? Got something against ChassisShop? A U-bend 2.5" diameter tube has a 4" radius. That obviously would not work. A 2.5" diameter donut has a 2.5" radius. You looking for something tighter? I looked throught a couple other speedshop books, not in any other.

I think you should add a tube to you cage that runs down the A pillar like Goat's. Then run your exhaust through that into your 'halo' then out the rear most tube in your 'bed'. :D

eric what gave you the impression that I am building a streetjeep?

damn, I'd better come up with some pics to save my credibility....

better yet, I'd better let loose with some proof I actually wheel!

ONE TON.....secret pics should be posted?

come awn flowers, ya fawkin camera boy.....let em fly.

Beezil said:
eric what gave you the impression that I am building a streetjeep?

damn, I'd better come up with some pics to save my credibility....

better yet, I'd better let loose with some proof I actually wheel!

ONE TON.....secret pics should be posted?

come awn flowers, ya fawkin camera boy.....let em fly.

Sorry BJ, I lost all of the picks of you on "Green Trail" at the Badlands.

Flowers

Back