• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" lift-stock shocks

92SportXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Could the stock shocks handle a 3" lift if they were not hardcore offroaded.
Budget is limited right now and I really want to get my 245/75/16 MT/R's on for the weekend.

Chris

The stock shocks will handle a 3" lift but you will end up loosing 3" of droop travel in the process. If you want to do it "right" the cheapest thing would be to find a Monroe or Gabriel (~$15-20 US) that has 3 inches more travel. You can get the catalog online that lists the end types and the length/travel dimensions. Just find a set that work, there are several that will work for you. Dont forget to bump stop or you will break the shocks or shock mounts. This is what I did and as I kept lifting. I changed shocks twice and it has worked out great. Not the best shock, but its cheap and gets the job done. I was even able to get different shocks for the left and right side in the rear to adjust for the change in lower mount height as I rotated the axle with shims and shackles to align it with the SYE (where I put the money I saved).

Google search on "Monroe Shock Charts".

John

Shocks that have more extended length almost always have a longer compressed length as well. The bump stop in the front is rubber cone that hits the pad inside the coil spring when the axle comes up during compression of the suspension. In the rear a rubber block is mounted to the unibody and will hit the axle tube when the rear suspension is fully compressed. With a shock that has a longer compressed length is very likely that the shock will bottom out before the rubber bump stops hit the pad (front) or axle tube (rear). If this happens you will either destroy the shock or damage if not break the shock mounts. The solution is to lengthen the bump stops. In the front you can bolt hockey pucks to the pad inside the spring. In the rear you can add a spacer (2"x2" tubing works well) under the rubber block.

If you lift but stay with stock shocks you will not have this problem but you will loose droop travel (limited by the shock) and you might end up with less traction when the suspension is crossed up than you had at the stock height.

Along with adding longer flexible brake lines this is just one of the things you must do when lifting. Do some searches. Its all been covered here before and there are a lot of unique solutions on the forum.

John

I ran a three inch lift with stock shocks for a long time, I never had a problem. With the rear sway bar removed running 32's I was able to stuff the tire tight into the wheelwell with out a problem. Look into shocks off a YJ they are a bit longer than the XJ ones. HTH Paul

I've been running stock shocks (original equipment on a '92) at 3" now for about 3 months. It'll work for a while, but you will definately want to save for new shocks. One good thing is you won't need to replace your brake lines until you change your shocks because there ain't no way your gonna get enough droop to stretch your brake lines with those shocks.

my fronts did ok, but I eventually switched to cheap monroes for a YJ. The rear's were WAY to short, hit a bump and they would fully extend. I used monroe shocks for an '85 isuzu trooper. They worked fine. My rear brake line wouldn't even hook back up with 3" so I had to replace it, I used a '94 dakota line I believe. Gave me plenty of room.

Back