• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whistle while decelerating.

Irish

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 01 XJ with the 4.0L 6 in it that occasionally whistles when I decelerate. It always stops before I can come to a complete stop and pop the hood to locate it. Becoming very annoying. Any ideas?

Vacuum leak. +3

Dr. Dyno said:
You've got a leprechaun under the hood. ;)
I agree about the vacuum leak being the most likely problem.

I was watchin the news last week and there was a group of people that swore that there was a leprechaun in a tree. It only came out at night and when you pointed light at it it went away. Funny video, looks like something that should be on the daily show.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/leprechaun-in-tree-part-1.html

Make a video and maybe people will belive tht there is a leprechaun in your jeep.

Thanks all. I pretty much figured that it was a vacuum leak but was hoping that someone had the exact same problem and could tell me, "Oh, yeah, that's the flatulencebender hose... happens all of the time." I'll check into it and let you know what I find. And if I catch a leprechaun under the hood, I'll send a picture for all to see.

Sláinte,

Irish

You might try changing your climate controls around and see if the whistle stops or changes. I had a vacuum connector at the HVAC controls come loose (during/after a sterio install) and it would whistle.
I think I have a crakced diaphram in one of my heater box vacuum cans. It kind of sighs and farts, when I shut the motor off.

Back