• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ Brake lines

92SportXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello every one, I'm new to this site and has purchased a 92 Sport.
I'm in the process of collecting all the parts to do my lift. The question is, I have noticed many threads about YJ brake lines vs stainless and I have noticed that the OEM lines mentioned are always from a 95 YJ.
I's there some reason for this? Lenght or fitting?

Chris

Soon to be 3.5" taller and rolling on Rubicon's with 245/75/16 MT/R rubber.

the 94-95 have longer ones... 94 was the crossover year, so some parts houses will give you shorter ones - ask for 95's and you'll get the ones you want....

Personaly - i needed more length than YJ lines, so I run Mid 90's GM IFS 3/4 ton front brake lines... bolt right up...

I used the 95 YJ lines on my 4.5" front, 5.5" rear lift and they worked great. I have 12 inches of travel in the rear and they dont come close to being stretched. Take some time with the fronts and make sure the dont catch on the tire or shock under all combinations of compression, extension and steering angle. Check hard line clearance while you are at it. I run 31x10.5 on stock rims and had to move the hard lines down so the tire wouldnt rub on them.

John

XJ_ranger said:
so I run Mid 90's GM IFS 3/4 ton front brake lines... bolt right up...
Really? thats interesting, do they have the tall metal tube like the yj ones or all they all hose? I broke my pass side stock one on the metal not the rubber, lost fluid and hit a tree while gunning it in reverse out of a mud hole, not lookin for that again.

I ran OEM 95 YJ lines up front with a 3" lift and the Moabs with 245's off a Rubicon. They worked great until one of the lines colapsed and left me with my drivers front breaks locked up... It was still on warantee, so I replaced it with another new one.

I'm in the process of going to a 6.5" long arm setup and I'm hoping that the YJ lines and relocating my hard line on the frame will be enough length. If not I might have to go with XJ_ranger's solution.

I noticed that nhrocker, your running the same setup as I'm about to run, what did you do for shocks, and could I run the stock ones for now if I was not hardcore offroading?

Chris

There's no way I could have gotten away on stock shocks. But I was also running 5" of lift in the back, no rear sway bar, JKS disco's up front, and managed to hang on a fully extended rear shock more than once...

I was running Rancho RS5000's, the correct length for a 3" lift. I know most people hate them with a passion, but I didnt' think they were that bad. Really stiff, but still better than any of my friends tuner cars... I was running them because they were a present (who am I to turn down free shocks?:) )

If you do need cheap shocks the correct length, I know my local VIP sells Rancho shocks now for like $25-$35 each. I also seem to remember hearing that OEM YJ shocks will work for a budget boost, maybe you could get by on them till you can afford the correct ones. No matter what, I would get the correct length shocks ASAP.

a dakota rear line will bolt right up in the back and is significantly longer than stock. i cant remember which year but a search will turn it up.

Back