• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pitman arm problems!!!!

92jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the middle of installing an 8 inch lift kit on my 92 xj and I cannot get the pitman arm off. I have the fork thing and the steering box metal is just absorbing the hits from the hammer and is disforming. It is a stock pitman arm and I don't have an actual puller and I don't think any truck shops around me are open tomorrow. How have any of you taken care of this problem? Any reponse is greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Tylor

yes you have to have the puller...sometimes it is even a bitch with the right tools. I have seen snap on pullers broke while trying to remove pitmans on XJ's.

Good Luck,

JJ

Get the puller. Most retails like AutoZone loan them to you for a deposit. A very stout breaker bar and a friend,I had to slide the hi-lift handle over the breaker bar. When the arm is ready to come off it will POP. Wrap the arm (after you have the puller on tight) with a shop towel or rag, I recommand actually tying it off. The arm may pop off and hit the garage/driveway floor and ricochet and injure someone.

P

Another option is to leave the nut on but loose. The arm can't shoot off at you that way, just make a loud bang.
mattk

Just put a fair amount of force on the puller's bolt and hit the section on the pittman that the steering sector goes through it with a hammer. It should break it loose with a pop. If it doesn't,tighten it down a little more and try again until you get it to pop off. :D

Hey we went and got the pitman arm puller, and used the high lift jack as a breaker bar. And snapped the puller. Now were goin assemble with the stock pitman arm and take it to a mechanic and let him switch it out to the bigger pitman arm.
But thanks for all the replies and will let you know what happens thanks.
Tylor

92jeeper said:
Hey we went and got the pitman arm puller, and used the high lift jack as a breaker bar. And snapped the puller. Tylor

Not tryin' to be a jerk or anything,but that's what happens when you don't do it the way I told you to do it. I'd take the puller back and get a replacement and try it the other way (IE=the correct way):D I did the same thing you did when I had my TJ. The guy behind the counter told me the correct way to do it after he swapped it out (probably 'cause he didn't want me coming back in with another broken puller and wanting another replacement :rolleyes: ) T&E are the best teachers!

When I tried to pull my pitman arm off, I used every thing, pullers, pry bars, a torch, harsh words and I ended up using a cut wheel on a grinder and cutting the arm 3/4 of the way, then I hammered a chisel into the cut and it fell off.

standard.jpg

Who tries to do such thing w/o air tools.

I had to replc pitman arm, i got my trusty half inch impact, got my trusty 'ol puller, put all together.....pull the trigger and it ended in 15 sec....
The story is use your head and proper tools !!!!!

Georgia Mike, I am going to do as you say this afternoon. I have to go back to autozone today to get a new puller, but I am gonna try it. Thanks for the help and i will let you know how it turns out.

Oh, and one more thing. I am in my garage yesterday and I have my cherokee apart and my buddies 89 cherokee apart that I took the lift off of and when we tried to switch the driveshafts(because he has an extended shaft) on the rear and mine is stock, it was too short for mine and mine was too long. I also found out that I have a Chrysler 8.25 on the back and he has a dana 35, so I don't know if that makes a diference or not. Does it matter with the rear axle and that his is a stick and mine is an automatic? It fit, but the legth was wrong. But, I am going, if all goes well today, to get my rear axle tilted tomorrow to fix the rear driveline angle.

Thanks alot to all you guys. I am new to the forum and I like what i have seen. I am on 4x4wire as Tylor and I like this forum better because you all know exactly what I'm talkin about with the xj. Thanks alot again all.
Tylor :party:

Install the puller, crank down on the tension, then hit the end of the puller bolt with a BFH. Tighten again, hit again. It WILL come off.
Try some PB Blaster before you start, too.:cool:

hey i am running 8 inches of lift and a stock pitman arm! so it will b fine to run like that! it really isn't a big deal! but when i took my pitman arm off to drill it out we used a puller and a tourch! and it eventaly came off!

stoney

I have not driven it yet because my buddies xj is in the way of the door to the garage and his front axle is still sitting on the ground, but we are gonna try to switch out to the pitman arm he had on it with the 8 inch. The Jeep looks bad cause it is on the tires and rims now, and, wow!! I am gonna try to post pics. I have some before shots, but, I am pretty bad at computers and have no page to post onto.

Just to let you know, the suspension is the Rubicon Express 6 inch with a coil spring spacer and rear shackle. I have the heavy duty adjustable track bar and drop bracket. I also have the control arm drop brackets. I have to install one more shock on the passenger front side today, bleed the brakes, and switch the pitman arm. Then, we have to put the front axle back on my buddies truck with all my stock components. Hopefully we can get it done tonight then tow it over to my buddies buddies shop where he can reangle the axle. So, when i get off work, the fun begins.:wave1:

I always do it without a puller, just take the nut off, and smack the arm with a hammer right at the conecting point (around the sector shaft). Works like a charm. I do the same with all taper joints.

Thank you alll soooooo much!!!!!!!!!!! I just finished as much as I can get done myself. We took the pitman arm puller, set it on, torched the pitman arm and then beat the living snot out of it until it just flew off. I have everything done except the front brakelines because it stripped out so I am gonna have a tow truck come tomorrow to pick it up and take it to a mechanic now, so, everything should work out by Thursday. I should get the brakes done tomorrow and then the driveline angles fixed Wednesday. I will let you all know how it goes then too. Thanks again

Tylor
:yelclap:

Back