• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

harmonic balancer question

jb660r

NAXJA Forum User
I had an oil leak, thought it was coming from the front of the oil pan. On closer inspection it looked like the crank pully was tearing into the timing chain cover. Pulled the balancer and I was right. I am thinking the pulley started separating from the balancer and thast what caused it. So my question, is that possible, and also where is a good place to find a new one on the net. Thanks again for all your help.

jb660r said:
I had an oil leak, thought it was coming from the front of the oil pan. On closer inspection it looked like the crank pully was tearing into the timing chain cover. Pulled the balancer and I was right. I am thinking the pulley started separating from the balancer and thast what caused it. So my question, is that possible, and also where is a good place to find a new one on the net. Thanks again for all your help.

It's not unusual for the balancer to seperate and cause problems like that. I don't know of a good source, but expect about $50 mail order. While you've got the balancer off, I recommend replacing the oil seal on the front of the crank shaft. My favorite method of pulling seals is to drill a small hole in the seal, run in a big sheet metal screw and pry on the screw.

Back