• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front seal leak and coolant question..

99daytonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 99, 4.0L with just over 80k on it.

First question - why would my coolant in the radiator be nice and green but the brownish in the bottle? Am going to flush and fill but wasn't sure if this was symptomatic of another problem.

Second question - I have an oil leak (seap may be more accurate) from what looks like the front seal just behind the harmonic balancer pulley. The oil doesn't drip but has blown back over the pan and kinda high on the passenger side of the motor all the way back to the oil filter (or is that yet another leak?). The HB pulley doesnt wobble or make any noise so I dont think it's bad... but what else might be causing the seep? (I do have a nasty screach when I start cold or kick on the a/c or defroster but think thats just a loose serp belt and not a bad pulley) Never done this seal before... is it a PITA or should i even be concerned? Oh - and what do you all recomend for cleaning the oil and grime off the motor? Figure that spraying high presure water all over the bay wouldn't be too nice for the alternator.

Thanks!

I see a lot of vehicles with nasty looking coolant in the resovoir jug. I think it is because the coolant in there is mostly stored and doesnt get circulated like it would if it were in a closed system. Best to remove the bottle and do a good cleaning and refill.

The leak you speak of is likely the front crank seal and/or timing cover seal. Good time to replace the water pump as well because it has to come off. Also, timing chain would be really easily done at this time. Its not too bad of a job. Did mine in just a few hours sitting in my yard on a weekend.. . . taking my time to clean everything. The timing chain is something that needs to be done correctly or it will be out of time and wont run, but an amateur with a good manual should be fine. The only special tool you will need is a harmonic balancer puller to get the pulley off the crank. I suggest removing the radiator when doing this as you could easily damage it. It is not required to do this though. . . just makes it easier (in my opinion).

The squeal is caused by a loos serp belt. Should be able to just give it a good adjustment and all should be ok if the belt isnt worn too badly. It has to come off when you do the front seal, so that would be a good time to just replace it.

Back