• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making rings seat...

Terd

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody have one of those old cure alls for making rings seat in? I've heard of sending some AJAX up the ol' venturi, but not sure if I have the balls to do it...don't really want to dis-assemble and re- hone and FYI these are chrome bores (so that puts me in the mod forum, right LOL)...just askin' so TIA...

Chrome bores huh?? Whatcha got there, some nikasil rice rocket thing?? A outboard?? i'm confuzed:confused1 What kind of rings?? What material?

As a note to history...waaaaaaaayyy back when the first 265 Chevy motors first came into production, (All hail the mighty smallbock) they had a problem with the cylinder walls being too finely finished...the finish hone was with 800 grit...result was the rings wouldn't seat and they used oil like crazy...facing a major recall. Chevy turned to the engineer that headed up the project...a Mr. Zora Arcas Duntov...his solution to the problem was to slowly pour some "ZUD" cleanser (still available today) down the carb with the engine revved up, then go run the snot out of it...in most cases it worked well...true story....btw....the smallblock almost never got made....cadillac was slated to design the "new" chevy V-8:read:

We used BonAmi in a Bull Durham sack. Just shake it over the intake. Used to use it on diesels that had a hard time seating rings due to high compression.

Ajax had chlorine....bad for your motor.....:jester:

Well Nikasil no, but you did sort of busted me they're Channel Chrome...I restore/overhaul 30's and 40's era radial engines, and this damn Warner (7cyl. air cooled radial) that I've been flailing upon will not seat the rings in...had the cyls off and re-honed twice. And this place (NAXJA) has some of the most intelligent motor people that I have ever found...and thought I would ask...BTW what ever happened to Billa Vista, Beezil, Eagle, Bill A. and all those guys that used to hang around here, when I first built up my XJ (7-8 yrs. ago) I used to hang out here alot and found great guys and info, back then I was "Billy Bob" and no longer remember my pword so now am "Terd".
I think I will try some Bon-Ami or Zud, but need to think about it as this is a $35,000 motor...AHHHHHHH! feels good...

Back