• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tf 904 clutch

Check summitracing.com
I remember seeing some kits a while back when I was thinking about doing the tranny in my AMC myself.
HTH

perhaps i should clairify. i'm not looking for the clutches, but information about when they are applied while driving. symptoms of the tranny are it slips when it gets warmed up. at least, that's what i know right now. i'm hopefully picking it up this weekend and will give a more complete description of how it works after i drive it and check the fluid level.

dfreeman616 said:
perhaps i should clairify. i'm not looking for the clutches, but information about when they are applied while driving. symptoms of the tranny are it slips when it gets warmed up. at least, that's what i know right now. i'm hopefully picking it up this weekend and will give a more complete description of how it works after i drive it and check the fluid level.

The FSM gives a real good desription of power flow. If your TF904 is slipping, you could try a filter and band adjustment(s), but likely it's just tired.

Without checking the book, IIRC there are 2 bands and a clutch pack. The Front and Rear bands operate 1,2 + R. Engagement of 3rd (straight through) is via a clutch pack. The TF999 which is like a TF904 with a different valve body and TC.

Regardless. If it's slipping, the long haul prognosis is pull it and rebuild it.
A tranny rebuild kit is reasonably inexpensive through MOPAR Performance (you will have extra clutches). Though there is nothing which will jump out at you, or is pressed in, it does require e/c clip tools, a torque wrench and a slide hammer to pull the pump assy. The toughest part is getting all the rollers and springs back in the sprag clutch :)

Back