• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB compressor advice needed

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to decide on what ARB compressor installation to go for. I have been happily running Truetracs for years but I am going for ARB lockers in my new axles when I move up to 35" tires. Most of my friends that have ARB's have all sorts of installations, none of them have ever had a reliable setup and all have sufferred either leaks, melted air lines or compressor failure. I'm interested in your opinions on what to choose.

My options:-

(1) ARB mini compressor for the lockers and use my TruckAir for tires
(2) ARB larger compressor for lockers and tire inflation
(3) Alternative compressor and cylinder (VIAIR)
(4) No compressor, just a Powertank air-reservoir

And some questions...

Are the pneumatic solenoid valves supplied with the locker or with the ARB compressor?

Is the ARB airline metric? Looks like it's 5mm Outside Dia Line.

What are the minimum and maximum actuation pressures for an ARB?

Yes, the lines are metric.
I think the valves come with the lockers.
My ARB supplied pressure switch comes on at 85PSI and off at 105PSI, I would run them at 90.
Preventing melted lines and leaks easy really not that hard, just use common sense when running your lines. If it is hot or sharp, keep the line away. I have been running ARB's for over 10 years now and have never had a leak or melted line. I finally did replace my failed compressor just last year....to many tire fills. I have replaced the valves to the newer design.

Rev

Everything (plastic line, fittings, switches, solenoid, etc) but the compressor comes with the locker.
The line is metric (don't remember size) but the solenoid is 1/8" NTP.
Operating pressure is 80-110 PSI.
The most common problems are the solenoid leaking and the air line breaking at the pumpkin fitting.
The air line problem is fixed by buying the HD hose kit (should be mandatory in any ARB install IMO).
I, and others here, have swapped out the switch & solenoid for a pneumatic switch with good results.

Another tip; when plumbing up the rest of the system don't use the cheap clear plastic line. Get the good black plastic air brake line from NAPA.

Rock Yacht said:
Don't use an ARB compressor for an air source - ever, throw the plastic air line away and upgrade to braided stainless.

Bob
I haven't heard a lot of bad things about arb compressors.
It seems to be a decent small compressor. It's a little overpriced (anything with "arb" written on it tends to be) for it's size and I wouldn't use any small, 1/4 HP, 30% duty cycle, compressor for running air tools and filling tires but for running the lockers it's fine.
I'm also not a fan of stainless lines. If you want that much overkill you're far better to have some 1/8" single wire rubber lines crimped up.
Cheaper, and the ends won't leak, break, or pull out.
Lower bling factor though.

Rock Yacht said:
Don't use an ARB compressor for an air source - ever, throw the plastic air line away and upgrade to braided stainless.

Bob

Huh?

Mine finally destroyed itself after 9 years of daily use, I still think it was a fine little unit. As far as the plastic lines, never, thats never, have I had a problem due to the plastic line. Common sense must be the rule.

Rev

I have ran my ARB comp. for about 8 yrs. w/no probs, and have yet to replace even the blue plastic metric line front or rear, just routed w/ zipties..only leaks are the cheap fittings and quick coupler that I put on...Cheap Chinese fittings...

Thanks guys. Anyone got any pictures of how the compressor and solenoid valves can be mounted in an XJ? I would prefer to mount them under the hood but I'm not sure if the big ARB compressor will fit.

Sorry, no pics either, jeep @ home, me @ work...but I mounted mine to my driver's side front fender well, nice and handy, and I don't have factory airbox in place, have Rock-It City tube and 2nd Optima and ARB comp fit on that fender will nicely...

If this compressor will fit, an arb will fit.

4b89af2c.jpg

31988b9b.jpg

I like how you managed to squeeze the compressor in, is it noisy inside when the compressor is running?

I run a ARB for my lockers and a Powertank for my tires. I have the bigger ARB and it's set-up for tire inflation should my tank run dry during a fill.

If I could do it again then I would defaintly get a electric compressor with a tank and run everything off that. Wouldn't have to worry about running outta air, no more refills and no more dragging the tank in and out everytime it needs to be filled.

I don't suggest running the ARB's off C02 for one reason. If for some reason you develop a leak while wheeling, you will never know it until your lockers stop working and your C02 tank is empty. At least with a compressor you can hear it cycling off and on.

Go to auto store - get 1/4" plastic split case electrical conduit - put over tubing. This really protects it from whatever.

I've been running my ARB stuff for three years now with no problems, however I don't use my ARB compressor for anything else (I did set it up as a back-up compressor though).

Now I'm kind of different and mounted my compressor in the back cargo area next to the fuel tank down tube and ran tubing off the solenoid valves outside to vent any smell from the diff's

Back