• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home fabbed rear bumper

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
This is a rear bumper for my buddy's XJ that another friend made for him. Its not finished, but all the mounting is done. It will still receive shackle tabs mounted on both sides of the 2x4 box, and a swingout tire carrier. The parts hadnt arrived before spring break was over. here's the link:

http://www.usjeeps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5224

the guy that built it is trying to get a small fab company off the ground. we're Clemson University students in good ole Clemson, SC. here's his link:

http://people.clemson.edu/~bbickle/

his website isnt much yet, but it just started. Brooks builds quality stuff. He built the warn 8274 bumper on the front of the XJ in his site, and he's built numerous TJ bumpers, and he's finishing up this rear xj bumper.

Not bad looking but lacks "everything" needed for a trail bumper.It lacks proper mounting points and structure.I wouldnt want to recover off of D-rings that are not fully tied thru!With the limited pics its hard to say whether it could handle a hard "ledge" hit or not?And you want to add a tire carrier,to what?

Last edited:
^^ i agree, take a coupel pieces of angle iron or even thick flat stock and bolt it to the unibody where most trailer hitches attach. Then just weld it to the bumber and it will be incredibly stronger. It may not be the most attractive but its very strong and easy.

you all make good points. Its hard to see from the pics. Its 2x4 box as the base, and its plated on the tops and sides to cover the spaces. It then uses the stock 8 mounting locations, and then a massive backing plate behind the rear crossmember, which is tied into the center of the bumper with 4 more mounts. Additionally, it may or may not be tied into the existing hitch, for anywhere from 12-20 mounting points. Like i said, its not quite finished yet, so the shackle tabs will be welded through on both sides. Its only painted to keep from rusting. There is room to add a tire carrier on the bumper, as they built it with that in mind. Also, everything is between 3/16" and 1/4" thick. Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming.

If you are going to put a tire carrier on that thing you WILL crack the sheetmetal around the stock mounting locations unless you SOLIDLY mount it into the frame rail.

karstic said:
If you are going to put a tire carrier on that thing you WILL crack the sheetmetal around the stock mounting locations unless you SOLIDLY mount it into the frame rail.

even with the additional mounting location to the rear crossmember with the backing plate and if its tied into the hitch, which is mounted in 8 locations?

if its tied to the hitch you may be ok, but its much easier, probably stronger, and more attractive to build a seperate frame that bolts where the hitch bolts.

Mounts suck..... design is a bit useless and boxy.... BUT.... I do like the fact that it looks clean....good welds from what I can/can't see.... good design for what it is..... and based on that I think that he might be able to make some really nice looking bumpers if he takes everyones advice.....

looks good. it would be a good street bumper. you paid way too much for that steel too $150 for just that ouch. i agree with everyone else though.

i think maybe the $150 included the steel for the entire bumper, the swing arm, and all the parts for swing arm like spindle and latch, and the shackle tabs. not sure though, i'll have to ask.

yea i plan to add frame rail mounts to it, but we only had a day and that is what we got done, it still is going to get alot of work

ah, there you are harry...i'll let you chime in, since its your bumper, and yall built it. that said, i'm having brooks make me one this summer, when they figure out all the bugs on yours :)

yea we are still looking at it and thinking of what we could do better on it, i think i am going to add frame tie-in's that mount to the same spot the hitch does, im trying to decided if i want to keep the hitch too.

Back