• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Track bar on 90 XJ

fom_ska

NAXJA Forum User
I have to change out my rear track bar on my XJ. Wondering if their are other XJs or Grands that may have used the same track bar and is interchangable. My XJ has 4" lift and I think the track bar is the original, so not sure if that makes a difference. Basically, AutoTire told me that the rear track bar and one of my tie rods is making my tires cup in the front and need to remedy the situation before things get worse. Any advice would be great!!

that guy does not seem to know what he is talking about. I got rid of my rear "anti-sway bar" (if that's what you are refering to). You do have leaf springs on the rear of your "XJ" don't you ?

tie rod in the front has play in the bushing.......I didn't think that XJs had track bars in the rear but that is what the guy at autotire told me. I thought that it was the sway bar and tried to correct him but he insisted that it was a track bar. To my knowledge, XJs have a track bar in the front only. So the question still remains but I guess what I am asking is there a interchangable sway bar?

yes, they're interchangeable, but just take it off. im surprised you even still ahve it with 4" of lift. i havent had mine on since before i lifted it, and noticed no difference in driveability.

The rear swaybar on an XJ is junk. Aftermarket leaves are stiffer than the stockers, so the swaybar is not needed. Take it off and throw it far from the vehicle. My handling didn't change at all when I took mine off. Jeep didn't even put a rear swaybar on its Upcountry Packaged XJ's.

in talking with a friend this is what he said. "It has a rear trackbar... But I don't know how it would make your tires cup... Maybe someone here with more XJ experience than myself could do better...I take that back... The rear track bar centers your rear wheels under the rig - if it isn't setup right your jeep will be going down the road puppy footed." Is there any legitamacy to this thinking?

if your rear tires are cupping then try changing out the shocks or they are out of balance .well if they are cupped now they are shot.i would have to say bad shocks.and like everybody else said already ditch the rear swaybar altogether .

fom_ska said:
in talking with a friend this is what he said. "It has a rear trackbar... But I don't know how it would make your tires cup... Maybe someone here with more XJ experience than myself could do better...I take that back... The rear track bar centers your rear wheels under the rig - if it isn't setup right your jeep will be going down the road puppy footed." Is there any legitamacy to this thinking?

i think that there is NO legitamacy to his thinking. front yes, rear no. the leaf springs keep the axle centered under the vehicle.

fom_ska said:

Tell your buddy he doesn't know what he's talking about. Tell your mechanic too.

Back