• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar bolt

cherokeekid95

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i got a pair of JKS disconnects to put on my 95 xj. i took off the original sway bar links. (broke top of one):mad: no biggie. BUT there is a star bolt that held the bottem of the link to the axel. i can't get it out! to me it looks welded in. is that correct? a buddy says its in a sleave. ok but then why does it look like the threads end before the sleave? and why won't it turn. mind you i don't have a size 55 star wrench. trip to store solve that prob. another buddy says it just wrenches out. is that true cuz i can't get it to move. since i didn't have the wrench did the ole visegrips to the outside. well i was practially hanging on the thing it didn't slip let alone turn:confused: HELP PLEASE currently running with no rear sway bar and front one inactive:(

It's pressfit in and you will not be able to turn it to get it out. The only way is to hammer it out or cut & drill.

use a big C-clamp and a properly sized socket

I ended up having to drill it out from the outside in.... For the bit size I chose one that's almost as big in diameter as the sway bar bolt... then when I knew that I got through, I hit it with a hammer to brage it off and the rest was easy then to get out (heat must have helped it!).... before doing that, I tried torching it, big hammer, and c-clamps and many many different things.... Someone will say that theirs just fell out... well GOOD FOR YOU! ours are (were) stuck solid!

Kejtar

Kejtar

Mine just popped right out

ha! man kejtar you just made me start to dread this project now. what did i get myself into?

don't worry about it... just have a drill ready with a good bit (and a bit of cutting oil) and you'll be good. I think it was about 5 minutes of drilling per side..

Kejtar

Weasel's right on it. Heat the MOUNT up 'til it's cherry red and the bolt will almost pop out by hand,although I HIGHLY recommend using a hammer,as the bolt will be a little hot to the touch :firedevil

While y'all in the great mood after those bolts...pull your front hubs/axles off to change the UJs.

LOL You'll be wretchin like a drunken schoolboy :)

JEEP:
Just
Enjoy
Every
Problem

thanks for the help guys. Downside.....no drill and no torch. :rolleyes: so i am gonna hose it down throughly with PB then i am taking a few wacks at it. and then i am gonna put a clamp to it.:D i'll keep you updated. thanks again for the words of wisdom.:cool:

ok update time. Pounding not working:mad: and i bent a clamp with a 900lb capacity:eek: so i guess its on to the drilling. gonna have to get a buddy to do it.:( but i am goin away for the next few days. will let you know how i make out;) thanks for listening.

Mine were very tough. No amount of hammering would do it. I tried to drill them out, made some progress but succeeded more at dulling all of my titanium bits (that metal is HARD). So here is what worked the best for me -

Grind or cut off the head. Put on a few big washers on the stud and thread on a nut. Tighten the nut until it pulls the stud out. This was so easy I was mad I wasted so much time (and good drill bits) before that.

Oh yeah I also broke a new T-55 torx bit thinking that damn thing would unscrew... :mad:

Re: Re: Kejtar

Kejtar said:
I got this theory :D Those who's bolt popped right out had substandard assembly going :D :D who knows what else will pop right out LOL

Kejtar
:D No I actually had to heat my Mount red hot and it came out pretty easy.

Justin

Back