• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock tow package,,,,,or not

97xjstock

NAXJA Forum User
just got a 97xj,,,,,,i've always owned yj/cj's and always had to put hitches on them.......................................how do you tell if its a factory install or a dealer/aftermarket install,,,,,i searched and read something about trans/power steering coolers,,,,but not sure on the newer xj's,,,,,,what does the factory wiring look like .....................................also,,,,,
who do you email at dam-chry ref getting the info on orig equipment?

The stock Mopar hitch used on 97-01 looked like the one below. (Without the hook) You can usually pick them out because of the box on the left for the connector. Also by looking at the front grill you can see if you have a trans oil cooler installed. The stock tow package came with a cooler.
Alex

Picture071.jpg

Trans Cooler
TransmissionCooler1fix.jpg

Last edited:
I would say the biggest tipoff would be the trans cooler. I have my '01 outfitted with a mopar class III hitch, wiring harness, etc. It looks dead nuts stock, because it all came from the Jeep parts department, but my XJ didn't come that way from the factory. The only clue that it's an add on tow pkg on mine is the B&M super cooler behind the grill.

So,,,if it doesn't have a tranny cooler, or has one different than stock (in the pic posted previously) then I would suspect it's an add on.

Back