• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire carrier attached to hitch bracket??

gabe4

NAXJA Forum User
First time posting in this forum, I've search with no answer so that means it's a nutty idea or I'm not searching right. Has anyone built a rear tire carrier off the stock hitch bracket with out changing the stock bumper.

define what you called a "hitch Bracket"??

bolting into the stock bumper mounts with a heavy swing arm style tire carrier is a bad idea, after a while the weight and stress of the tire and arm works the uni-body frame to death and the mounts crack and tear through the sheet-metal..

JLane99XJ said:
define what you called a "hitch Bracket"??

bolting into the stock bumper mounts with a heavy swing arm style tire carrier is a bad idea, after a while the weight and stress of the tire and arm works the uni-body frame to death and the mounts crack and tear through the sheet-metal..
I have the stock hitch which is stought and since most tire swing outs are tied into the "frame" the same way the hitch is just woundering if I can just build right to the hitch.

Ludakris said:
it will hang low, and out.. probably bang and drag it on alot...

DITTO
yeah i started out trying to build my original one off the hitch and it became such a monstrosity, hanging low and out so far i scrapped that idea...

Are you talking about something like this? Or more permanently mounted to the hitch?

spare.gif

spare2.gif

I had one of these on my first XJ and it worked very well. I ended up cutting off the receiver extension and removed the license plate bracketry but, yes, it did drag on rocks when wheeling and reduced the departure angle. I had 4.5" lift and 32's on that rig so it wasn't terrible, but definitely not a "hard core" rig item.

No not like that actually something bolted or welded to the existing steel used for the hitch no the reciever thanks though. I guess I'll just have to just stare at it for a while and see if I can come up with something.

i made something similar on my current xj. i dont have any pics of it yet though. it sits on top of the "sleeve" of the reciever hitch where the ball mount slides in. its got a bolt for a hinge and a hitch pin for a latch. the pin has vert very tight tolerances and it doesnt have any slack. its a very sweet setup, however it sits so close to my hatch i had to remove my rear wiper. here is a quick paint drawing to show what i mean.
carrier.jpg

Actually if you just notch the stock bumper it shouldn't have to hang down very low. The bumper I built ties to the stock bumper mounts AND to the frame where the hitch mounts. The tire carrier is welded to the bumper.

I originally tied only tot he bumper mounts and exactly what was stated above happened, the body started to crack. Now that I'm tied into the frame at the hitch it is rock solid.

HTH,
B-loose

YELLAHEEP said:
Are you talking about something like this? Or more permanently mounted to the hitch?

spare.gif

spare2.gif

I had one of these on my first XJ and it worked very well. I ended up cutting off the receiver extension and removed the license plate bracketry but, yes, it did drag on rocks when wheeling and reduced the departure angle. I had 4.5" lift and 32's on that rig so it wasn't terrible, but definitely not a "hard core" rig item.

Who makes or sells those?

kscherokee said:
I should have thought about that. - although, check that price out. I can find/make a nice rear bumper for that.

diddo...
actually half that price probebly...

Back