• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would you change about a 2002 xj sport if you could

xj4me

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone im new in here and just bought a 2001 xj sport. Are there any recomendations on replacing any parts for aftermarket ones. It has the towing packge so it already has a trans cooler (not very big) but better than nothing and a heavy duty engine cooler. Its mostly going to be an onroad runner but i do lots of mtn biking and camping so i want it to be very strong if i have to climb stuff or manuever around objects. Do you think stock clearance and shocks will get me through most situations?

Any suggestions welcome
Thanks guys and gals
RickNAXJA

You will be stunned at how well your XJ works totaly stock. After a while you might add a few inches of lift and maybe some 31" tires. You couldn't ask for a better platform to work with!

Jump This said:
You will be stunned at how well your XJ works totaly stock. After a while you might add a few inches of lift and maybe some 31" tires. You couldn't ask for a better platform to work with!
I agree. You'll be amazed at what a stock XJ will do.:cool:

I would look into armor and skid plates, just incase you do get into a place where clearance is and issue. Also wit what you described, a solid roof rack to carry any extra gear.

Otherwise, you can get some minor engine performance gains with aftermarket intakes and exhaust, but they can be expensive, and you really don't get your moneys worth.

Well...okay....the MX dude has a point....if you had the limitless budget,knowledge and shop space, an off roader with 44's rolls nice and smooth down the stutter bump roads....:D

Some of what i did on my '98 5-spd and sounds would be enough for your needs. Is correct, these XJ's are damned capable in stock form.

Factory skids are good. Not available new. Aftermarkets overkill for your needs and some have design problems. Forget the x-fer case skid. I took mine off. Pretty worthless in my opinion. Up Country springs. Lifted mine around 2" and the increased spring rate possibly the best advantage. Air shocks rear. I installed a Trac-Lok. Dependible and cheap. Good to 100k miles if lube changed using factory friction modifyer. Use tow hooks. Stockers or aftermarkets on front and hitch hook or equiv on the rear. Hidden Hitch nicest out there. Make sure you have the twin core aluminum radiator. Since towing package it should be. They do really well. K and N filter element. Borla (pretty quiet) or Flowmaster 50 Series (a little louder) or equiv. With your exh system and LEV emissions cannot do anything else. Gotta keep the light-off cats up front and the cast manifold.

CheapXJ said:
tell my old transfer case that.

I'll never play without a TC skid on ANY vehicle.

rock crushes cast aluminum :(
I agree!
The t-case skid was one of the FIRST things I added. I deal with a LOT of rocks here in AZ, and the skid's helped quite a few times already.

Let us keep focused here-

The stock transfer case skid is worthless...i stand by my word. It is more of a scoop hanging down inches from the transfercase being attached by a few almost worthless nutcerts.

Remember there are a bunch of us who never plan on rock crawling with our nice unbent XJ's dragging the entire undercarriage through hell!! I happen to like to be able to hit the boonies and do some fairly serious 4wheeling and still hit the road and cruise at 85 for 500 miles smooth as silk!! Can do an amazing amt of crawling over stuff without banging up the drivetrane. A good part of that ability is skill... and care.

Re: Let us keep focused here-

Judd W. VA said:
The stock transfer case skid is worthless...i stand by my word. It is more of a scoop hanging down inches from the transfercase being attached by a few almost worthless nutcerts.

Remember there are a bunch of us who never plan on rock crawling with our nice unbent XJ's dragging the entire undercarriage through hell!! I happen to like to be able to hit the boonies and do some fairly serious 4wheeling and still hit the road and cruise at 85 for 500 miles smooth as silk!! Can do an amazing amt of crawling over stuff without banging up the drivetrane. A good part of that ability is skill... and care.
I agree completely about the stock skid being almost worthless, although it's better than nothing.
I've installed a SkidRow t-case skid, along with skids for the gas tank and the front control arms. They've saved my drivetrain more than once.
If you don't have many rocks, you can probably get by without them. Eventually, your skills increase to where you want to try the tougher trails. Then the protection is important.
I can also cruise all day on the interstate in mine, and I think it's BECAUSE I have protection on the trail and my undercarrige is still "unblemished".

Last edited:
Im kind of in the same situation as you, I own an 01 and use it for camping/hauling but mostly as a daily driver.

Some modifications I would do right off the bat:

New tires(the stock Goodyears suck, especially in the rain)
Replace rotors and pads
Replace shocks
Towhooks

And if you have some extra money floating around
SYE
2"-3" lift
tcase skid
rockers

With that you will have a very capable offroader thats still nice on the street. I wouldnt mess with the engine/exhaust too much as the 01 setup is already pretty nice from the factory.

Last edited:
Here is some basic stuff that will show improvement right off the bat.
1. Hella E code headlights or equiv IPF with 65/85 Xenon H4 bulbs, plug and play.
2. Set of Good Fog lights, I liked my Hella 550's and like my smaller 450's equally.
3. Cell phone in car mount, they tie into the cars sound system and mute the radio on incoming and outgoing calls. I had a startac and replaced it with a new LG GPS setup [don't know how to use it yet] the car mount goes in next week as soon as they get them in stock.
4. Cobra WX75 I think, it's a CB with an all in the mike setup, handy and compact.
For off road:
5. SKID PLATES, gas tank for sure, find one from a 97+ in a bone yard. Rock sliders that go under the rocker panels, cause if you don't have them sure as god made little green apples your going to come down on a rock and dent those rockers.
6. Tow points front and rear, two ways, put 2" receivers on both ends and use shackle inserts OR Tomken front and rear bumpers with built in 2" receivers OR Rustys, Custom4x4 front tow hook kit. Good 20-30,000lb tow strap, NO HOOKS ON IT, loops only.
7. Tires, the stock Good Years are terrible, Dunlop, BF Goodrich, Pirelli, Cooper all make decent AT tires. I run the BFG AT/KO's now, nice tire, good price at BJ's Wholesale. Have run Pirelli Scorpion AT's and Dunlop Rover AT's, all good tires.
A couple of companies make rear bumpers with built in 2" receivers AND shackle mount tabs, kills two birds with one stone, gives you the tabs for mounting D rings for pulling and a 2" receiver for one of those bike carriers.

And the biggie, most important of all, A FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL, you can order one fom the back of your owners manual or at the dealer.
Put together a good tool kit with the appropriate sized wrenches for things you think you can tackle yourself. A 1/2 torque wrench, Auto Zone and other carry them for around $25 bucks, 2ft 1/2 breaker bar, keep under back seat, both about 2ft long as well as a deep socket to fit your lug nuts. You don't use a torque wrench to loosen stuff, only tighten. Personally I heaved my stock lug nuts and spent $25 bucks on solid chromed ones, don't want to have a cap slip off when I need to change a tire.

Reminds me, did the change on both jeeps, anybody want 10 locking lugs :D

Back