• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG M/T vs. Goodyear MT/R

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang,

I have read several threads but I want to hear from you guys. I am running 33's A/T's and this is my daily driver. I have wheeled with several of you. I love the local terrain in Big Bear and the desert.

I am debating between the BFG M/T and the MT/R. They are within $10 of each other at America's Tire.

What is your experience and recommendation?

Thanks,

Robert

I have some MT/R's off of a Rubicon and they have treated me well. They seem to not be wearing down too quickly either. But I've never used BFG Muds.

The MT/R's have a stronger sidewall than the BFG's. However the MT/R's are not a true "mud" tire. If you spend most of your time in mud, I would go with the BFG's. If you spend a lot of time on rocks and hard terrain I would go with the MT/R's. I can tell you that very few of the people here run the BFG's. I would say 80% or more of the rigs here are running the MT/R's. I have talked to several people that have ran both and they keep coming back to the MT/R's. Just my $0.02

Bald Bridgestones are 1000 times better than goodyear. Go BFG.

IMHO

BTW, This belomgs on the Tech. boards.

Robert,

I just switched from the BFG M/T to the MTR. Other than wheeling 50 ft through thick mud (my driveway but don't ask) I haven't taken mine off road yet (I never got to the trail :( ). I can tell you that so far, the 37 MT/Rs are a LOT better than the 35 BFG MTs on the street. I mean a LOT better meaning a quieter and smoother ride. I sliced a good handful of BFGs last year as well wheeling

If you were to talk to the 'hardcore JV bunch,' aka 'XJ Snobs,' they would say steer clear of the BFG M/Ts cuz they don't hold up. I am inclined to agree. From a durability standpoint, the 'hardcore JV bunch' recommends the MT/R or the Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers.

But what do I know :dunno:

Good Luck

-Avery

Rob,
I think there is a write up in the new JP about tires. I havent had a chance to check it out yet but maybe that would help???

Rob

Bent said:
BTW, This belongs on the Tech. boards.

I know, but I did not want folks from all over replying. I wanted "local" experience and input.

I run Mt/rs on my XJ and BFG's on my Daily, and all I have to say about the MT/R's are that they are a good rock/street tire, but mud/snow or any combination proves detrimental to me (open diffs)

The BFG's supposedly last longer due to the harder compound (my set's got 20k on and they are about 10%) and clean mud alot better. MT/R's look cooler but thats just my opinion :D

I have 31x10.50 MT/Rs and love them.... I have not had the BFG MT and feel that for the wheeling that I do they are a good combonation tire. More aggressive than a simple AT and still a resonable road tire.

I went with MT/R due to the heavier sidewall. I run in the woods with lots of sticks and other trash in the mud. I have yet to cut or slice a tire. I have noticed they they wear faster than I thought they would.

I have not noticed any ill effects in either on road snow or heavy rain.

Jeff

Racer-X said:
The MT/R's have a stronger sidewall than the BFG's. However the MT/R's are not a true "mud" tire. If you spend most of your time in mud, I would go with the BFG's. If you spend a lot of time on rocks and hard terrain I would go with the MT/R's. I can tell you that very few of the people here run the BFG's. I would say 80% or more of the rigs here are running the MT/R's. I have talked to several people that have ran both and they keep coming back to the MT/R's. Just my $0.02

MT/Rs aren't mud tires at all, it stands for "Maximum traction/reinforced". So they do great on rocks, but i've personally seen them suck balls in east coast/Maryland mud. A friend's Swampers and my 33" Claws self cleaned and drive right through, while a TJ with 35" MT/Rs had to winch out. It was kind of silly.

Rocks = MT/Rs
Mud= BFGs

rpraterxj said:
I know, but I did not want folks from all over replying. I wanted "local" experience and input.

From all over? Why ask a question and preclude 98% of relative data. True there are those that run either of the two tires in SoCal. True there are those in SoCal that take these particular tires off of the street more than three times a year. The trick to getting relevant responses from a varied group is to phrase the question in a concise manner. The terrain and conditions in our area are not exclusive to southern California. Are you looking for a comparison of performance in mud, snow, ice, or sand? Right now that's what is on the trails locally. There are areas in SoCal where they have very little mud and no snow or ice locally. From what I saw this weekend, BFGs worked better than the MT/R.....in the snow......locally......in socal.

btw, mods read too.

Another tire in the same classx is the Toyo MT. They have been getting rave reviews from lots of magazines and users.

I have seen several rigs on these tire out here in the Pacific northwest and they are awesome. If you can fit them on your rig. They some in a 33x13.50 as opposed to the 12.50

I know when my BFG's wear out, I will be switching to Toyo's

KarlVP said:
Another tire in the same classx is the Toyo MT. They have been getting rave reviews from lots of magazines and users.

I have seen several rigs on these tire out here in the Pacific northwest and they are awesome. If you can fit them on your rig. They some in a 33x13.50 as opposed to the 12.50

I know when my BFG's wear out, I will be switching to Toyo's

I'm running them now, love 'em. Other than not being on his list, 33x13.5 (14.5+")x15 is the smallest available for a 15" rim, and it can be hard to get. For a 16" rim the 33x11.5 is the smallest available.
As far as fitting them goes, be ready to cut.

I've got 33" MTRs, and my only complaint is how long they haven't lasted. It's only been 6 months, and I've put about 6k on them, but they're half gone! I can't speak for the BFGs, but it seems like they last longer on a daily driver. I drive mine daily now, but would like to get a POS honda to get me to work and back so I don't have to drive on my MTR's all the time. It's a waste of money to me. But, back to the tire, I have had a great experience with them on the street, snow, and rocks. Especially rocks, aired down to 15psi. They definitely have a very durable sidewall, and I love um, except for the highway wear.

Adam, you've got something else going on. I put close to 70,000 miles on a set of 5 31x10.50s and have quite a few miles on my 33x12.50 MT/Rs. I put 3,000 miles on the 33s right after I bought them on a trip out to Moab.

I'd definitely recommend MT/Rs on a daily driver, and for anybody who runs in the rocks. And as others have said, they just don't do well in deep mud.

If you customarily run on wet roads, siping helps.

adamusmc2002 said:
I've got 33" MTRs, and my only complaint is how long they haven't lasted. It's only been 6 months, and I've put about 6k on them, but they're half gone!

I have almost 30,000 on my 315/75R16s and they're not even half worn out.
Do you have a spool in the back and bad alignment?

What is your thought/opinions on Procomp Xterrains?

I run MT/Rs and love them.

Check out BFG, they were letting people borrow their tires at TDS (tierra Del sol safari) this past year. A buddy borrowed some Krawlers and wailed on them with almost 0 psi and not a ding, BFG has great product support/ publicity. I am actually researching Maxxis tires for replacements, they seem to be working well.. and they look mean.

On a side note, comp. rock crawling rigs are winning with almost any manufacturers tire (krawler based tires) where dezert racing is pretty much dominated by BFG.

Back