• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Alignment Issues

GreaseCycles

NAXJA Forum User
Hey to all

First I would like to say that I have a 92 Jeep Cherokee with a three inch lift from Rough Country and a set of street 235/15's. Ive been aligned the Jeep on a Hunter Alignment Machine and lets just say this is not the first car/truck I've ever aligned, so I know it is neither he machine nor I that is making the error on the alignment. The problem is that after I installed the lift the truck would not hold an alignment. Ive checked the tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings, steering box mounts, even steering linkage angles, I have found them all to be correct. The caster and camber are perfect every time but say for instance I set the toe in and it is perfect, by the time I go around the parking lot it wont be. The toe always reverts to being pointed in. Ive aligned this truck several times and always does the same thing. When the toe in goes nuts it even goes back to the same exact angle it was at before I aligned it. I'm stumped; Does any one out there have any ideas?? Is this a common issue? I don't see how it could be but you never know. Has any one else out there had this problem. All by the way sorry for the long post!!

I have mine lifted about 4 1/2" and I cannot seem to keep my toe set as well. Mine doesnt specifically always toe in, but rather seems to be all over the place.

MIne is an '89 though and I have not yet replaced anything on the front end so I dont sweat it just yet.

GreaseCycles said:
Hey to all

First I would like to say that I have a 92 Jeep Cherokee with a three inch lift from Rough Country and a set of street 235/15's. Ive been aligned the Jeep on a Hunter Alignment Machine and lets just say this is not the first car/truck I've ever aligned, so I know it is neither he machine nor I that is making the error on the alignment. The problem is that after I installed the lift the truck would not hold an alignment. Ive checked the tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings, steering box mounts, even steering linkage angles, I have found them all to be correct. The caster and camber are perfect every time but say for instance I set the toe in and it is perfect, by the time I go around the parking lot it wont be. The toe always reverts to being pointed in. Ive aligned this truck several times and always does the same thing. When the toe in goes nuts it even goes back to the same exact angle it was at before I aligned it. I'm stumped; Does any one out there have any ideas?? Is this a common issue? I don't see how it could be but you never know. Has any one else out there had this problem. All by the way sorry for the long post!!
Ball joints? They can affect toe angles.

Yes, toe is set to toe in, 0-1/16" is typical.

The Cherokee uses a modified Y steering linkage setup. When the chassis height changes, so will geometry. When you lift a Cherokee, if you do not alter the steering geometry back to stock by raising the tie link, or lowering the drag link, the bump steer will become more promounced as well as the changes in toe. Most folks just live with it.

If your chassis is not at the same height each time you measure your toe, that would account for the error.

Did you do anything with the track bar? My rough country kit came with a drop bracket, but those things are worthless no one runs them. So my front end is located about 1.5" to drivers side, it probably puts alot of pressure and could mess it up? I haven't checked mine in about 7k miles though so it's probably way out...

because the y link steering isnt level due to lift any height change will through out the steering. i went to a cross over type just because of that.

Zuki-Ron said:
Yes, toe is set to toe in, 0-1/16" is typical.

The Cherokee uses a modified Y steering linkage setup. When the chassis height changes, so will geometry. When you lift a Cherokee, if you do not alter the steering geometry back to stock by raising the tie link, or lowering the drag link, the bump steer will become more promounced as well as the changes in toe. Most folks just live with it.

If your chassis is not at the same height each time you measure your toe, that would account for the error.

I'm not talking about 1/16. Im talking more about 1/2 inch. It takes about 3-4 turns to make it right. It moves enough to cause wandering and shimmy going down the highway from the tires fighting each other, instead of going in a straight line.

Back