• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Lights.....

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I went out and bought the new brake light switch, installed it and still nothing! The brake lights don't work at all but when the head-lights are on the tail-lights are lit up as if I'm on the brakes but I'm not.

I checked all grounds and they're good, fuse is good(BRAKE?HAZZ) BUT my hazzard flashers don't work even with a new flasher relay?

Any ideas?

Just a guess, but the ground wire screwed to the rear cross member has fallen off. The grounds may test good, but you can be testing for ground along the wrong path. On some models there is also ground screwed to the body behind the tial light assembly. And sometimes the left and right rear running lights have a seperate, that hwen it burns out causes strange ground problems.
Testing for grounds with an ohm meter set on a high resisitance scale may be helpfull.
If it has the heavy duty trailer package, it can be a whole other can of worms.

I bet its in the trailer wiring. Mine did the same thing awhile back, $100 at the mechanics and it was fixed with a new harness...

Cory

I'm gonna try running a ground from the battery to the tail-lights and see if that helps any, not permanent but would help diagnose.

SO why are the hazzard lights out too?

Fixed it, for some reason the power wasn't making it to the brake light switch or the hazzard flasher module so when I spliced power to the pink wire on the brake light switch I got my brake lights and hazzard flashers back.

It's great to be able to drive the Xj again!

Thanx for posting the fix, some people don't bother, it's ll a learning curve.

Back