• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt Squeal

juljeep

NAXJA Forum User
I've got to tighten a new serpentine belt on a 96 XJ, 2.5L, 4 cyl. engine with a/c and a manual tranny. I'm not a newb to doing repairs (little stuff, though--filters, blower motor, radiator, etc), but I'm a newb to belts. Any write-ups available? Mostly just want to know how to measure and adjust the tension. None of the nearby shops carry the Krikit guage.

Thanks! :viking:

The thumb rule I've always used is that you tighten the belt until you can just turn the longest span you can reach through 90 degrees. While not terribly accurate, I've not had the spare scratch to get a belt tension gage (damn college books...)

It's a fairly subjective test, depending largely upon the strength in your hands and forearms, but it usually serves.

5-90

Once you get the new belt on 1) Find the longest stretch of belt between two pulleys and it should have no more than 1/4" play, thats 1/8 down and 1/8 up. Seems really too tight till you start it up and drive it, re-check tension after a few days. good to go.

juljeep said:
What axis am I turning the belt on? Am I turning it so I can look at the bottom of the belt, or is it more like I'm crimping it?

Correct. You want to try to turn it over, but it shouldn't go more than halfway over (meaning, you turn the belt from "flat" to "on edge.")

5-90

Back