• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FAQ or tech article on lift/tires/flares?

Furylsky

NAXJA Forum User
So I got a free 1994 XJ and it is pretty much stock, 4.0 and an auto. Is there a faq that can show little stuff like tires, lift and flares? I need to get new tires and do not care about hacking the body for some flares. I read about 3.5” lift for a 32” tire but only 9.5” wide but flares will let you run…

Is there a table or other “Common” tech page? I would love to run 33” and sorta need to for the ground clearance. Mostly for my “too packed” garage. I have to park over my moto-lift. My Bronco clears fine. Doh! Did I mention I have an EB? Well, I also have a XJ and it will be my daily ride so I just want to make a few changes now and then drive it.

I need tires so if that means flares and a 4.5” lift that’s cool. I would also like to find out about a good SoCal place to get the engine rebuilt. I want to keep the 4.0 and maybe tweak it a little, but keep the reliability. Then there is the trans and T/C…

So what kinda cash will I be looking to spend for a decent 4.0 rebuild? I am just happy to get pointed to a tech article or other place. I searched for a few items and maybe it is just a combination of things I need to investigate. Beside Bushwacker, what other flares are out there? I hear the rears are a pain…

Anyway, thanks for any and all comments! See you guys on the trails in May!

G

There are a lot of posts about fender trimming; use the search feature, it's your friend.
Here's a post/writeup for what I did to fit 32x11.50's and a 3" Rusty's lift.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77409&highlight=fender+trimming

Pay attention to the wheel backspacing; if you can get the tires to stuff inside the fenders under flex, you won't have to trim nearly as much. I would have had to trim a lot more and lose my flares if I went with less backspacing on my wheels (making the tires stick out farther).

Back