• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High speed vibs after regear?

Rem870XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just had my xj regeared to 4.56. I am running 33' tires. After the regear the front end vibs pretty bad after 65mph. All the u-joints are new and all new bearings are in the housing. The only thing I can think of right now is the axles shafts i put in my be bent. My brother took the press to the old ujoints and bent the ears on the original shafts so i used old ones i had for spares. The gears were also brand new and a lock right was installed. If any of ya have any imput let me have it. Thanks in advance!

Thats usual for a gear change,your spinning the driveshaft faster.What may have been tolerable to the U-joints at 1xxx rpm's wont be tolerated at 2xxx rpm's

i had the EXACT same thing happen, regeared to 4.56s with 33s and now mine vibrates like hell over 30. i just remedied it today, i think my driveshafts out of balance for whatever reason, we put my friend's in and it ran like butter. im just gonna buy a new shaft, can get em for like 25 bucks at a junkyard near me

So if I take the driveshaft off and run it, that will tell me if it is the shaft right? I hope this is the problem, really sucks not being able to drive interstate speeds comfortbly. Can I just unhook my drive hsaft at the transfer case, or will it still spin with the lock right? Just seing if i can unhook it and tie it up to drive it. Thanks guys!!!

I need to do this with my rear shaft as well as my front, but I wondered how much fluid I will lose out of the output shaft seal of the transfer case while driving with the rear shaft out?

Removing front drive shaft fixed the problem. Can I have the drive shaft balanced? I have a good drive line shop just down the road. Thanks for the advice guys!!!

Its probably not a balance issue as much as a pinion/castor issue.Post some #'s.Also some lift info would help.

i would say castor also, what is it set at?? do you have adjustable control arms?
RCP Phx said:
Its probably not a balance issue as much as a pinion/castor issue.Post some #'s.Also some lift info would help.

strange but true , i had the same thing happen when i went to 4.11's .

isolated to the front axle by removing the drive shafts one at a time .

the pinion seal tension spring popped off during final reassembly ,
and got caught between the yoke and rear pinion bearing .

started to tear it back apart and was like WTF ???
new seal , no vibes .

i should have caught this because the torque on the pinion nut
did not " feel " right .

Dont mean to hijack, but i got a similar problem. I regeared to 4.88s as well as swapping in an 8.8 in the rear. I have terrible vibes front and rear at any speed over maybe 15mph and im wondering if i set up the gears teribly or what. I was running the exact same suspension setup with the original gears and axles so im dont think its a problem with my short arm setup, though im waiting to install my long arm kit to see if this remidies the problem...any way, any thoughts?

I went to the drive line shop today and he said that the cheaper carquest u-joint I put in may be causing the vibs. I went and bought a spicer and I am going ot put it in, in a while. My xj is on a 5.5 re lift with no-adjustable control arms. And one more thing that may make a difference is I bought a u-bolt style yoke for the dana 30. I dunno if this would make a difference or not?

Also how do I check for pinion/caster angle? Thanks

Back