• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch power from side posts! OK?

Ray H

NAXJA Forum User
Is it ok to run your winch off of Optima side posts? I read someplace, I cant remember if it was on a forum, the winch paperwork or Optima paperwork that the conductors the run to the side posts arent heavy enough to carry the amps that a winch can require.
Any thoughts on this? Anyone have trouble or not have trouble running their winch off the side posts?
Ive had my winch hooked to the top posts for a number of years with no issues but Im changing some things around and would like to relocate it if I can.

If Optima says not to do it then don't I've seen first hand what happens to batteries (they weren't Optimas)that had the winch connected to the side posts, completely melted the case around the post. Unless Optimas are made differently in the post area they'll probably do the same. Use the top posts for the winch and the side posts for starting.

Starters can be run from side posts (although not doing so is generally preferred) because it's an intermittent load with a low duty cycle.

Winches will draw heavy current for several minutes at a time, typically, and can melt out side posts.

What I'd suggest to you is that you run your starter and winch cables off the top posts (the high-draw stuff) and probably run your alternator input into there as well (if it isn't already,) and then use the side posts for light-duty distribution - like to the engine systems, for the stereo (if you don't have too many amplifiers,) and light-draw accessories. That should uncrowd your top posts fairly well, and preserve battery function.

There isn't as much conductor material to the side posts as there is to the top posts, and the side posts are also shrouded with plastic. This results in terminals that just don't cool themselves off as well, and they can melt with extended high-current use. How extended? I haven't tested, but some reports from the field say that a few minutes is enough to do it (you probably only crank your starter for 15-20 seconds at a time, which is why GM got away with side posts for so long...)

5-90

I’ve been running a Mile Marker 12K winch off of the side posts of my red top for a year or so now. It’s seen some heavy duty extended use and hasn’t been a problem. With that said, I didn’t know that you weren’t supposed to connect the winch to the side posts at the time. If you can, run the winch off of the top posts. If you have to run it off of the side posts it won’t kill you, it’s just not the preferred method.

Thanks guys,
I think my question has been answered. Looking back, I believe it was in the Optima warranty or instructions or something that I remember it stating not to use the side posts, the link above confirms it. I guess I'll move my amp and Hellas to the side and keep the winch, starter and power distribution on top.

I contacted optima directly they said the side posts are only good for 100 amps , which will not stand up to winching .

Back