• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crankshaft pulley removal

red91xj

NAXJA Forum User
How do I go about removing the crankshaft pulley without the motor turning? I try to loosen the nut but it just turns the motor...

TIA

:repair:

set the parking brake. chock the wheels and put the tranny in gear or park.

or safer methods. impact wrench. Strap wrench, very large pipe wrench with rubber to protect the flywheel.

bingo!

thanks man... duh i should have thought of that...

/idiot...

Park won't stop the engine from turning on an automatic (if it did you wouldn't be able to start the engine). You can take the access cover off of the front of the bell housing and wedge a pry bar against the teeth on the flywheel.

The bolt can have loctite on it, or a little siezed from corrosion over the years, sometime a strap wrench or pry on the starter teeth won't hold it still enough to break the bolt free.

Never done it on an XJ, on a mini-van with an automatic, I tried everything, finally went and took the vehicle to someone with an AIR IMPACT Wrench, that took it out for me, THEN we put it back in and torqued it lightly, it was good enough to drive it home and go back to work, this time able to remove the crank bolt with hand tools.

Or, as another easy to do method, put 2 bolts for the vibration damper pulley puller into the bolt holes in the pulley, then stick a big f'ing screwdriver between them and turn the crank until the screwdriver holds it in place, then remove :).

Back