• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

136 amp alternator in my 99 problems

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I have had this 136amp alternator for a while now. I put on my Kilby double pulley for my york project. Well my problem is I thought that I read every thing that I could on this but now that I am in the middle of things its not working. I thought that it would be a bolt in and now 2hrs later after swapping over parts and pieces and calling off of work because I now dont have a jeep to get me there. HOW do you get that thing to go in there? Its just too big. Do I get the grinder out? Tear everything off of that side to pull the bracket? How did you do it?

what exactly is too big?? the casing?, the mounting part of the casing?? if you can why not just grind?? provided that you're sure grinding will make it fit properly

are you sure your 136A alt has the applicable part number for our 4.0's?? i know the trucks/suvs that had the alts that we can swap to our 4.0's were a very specific range of year/model........

I ahve done this swap with the 136A alt from a 98 ZJ with the 5.9L V8. Yes it is a tight very tight fit. What I did was unbolt the bracket from the engine block and then grind to fit, followed by a light grinding on the block and area around it, but it does fit. Wish I took pics, but I was sick at the time and it was late, ie wasn't thinking with the NAXJA thread potential frame of mind.

Well I took the bracket off and went at it with the bench grinder, now that part works. Next I am going to have to take the grinder to the block and take some of that off. To bad my grinder is at my buddies house and he's at work.

Thats a good idea CartsXJ, I think I will take a few pictures to post up. I dont have any before but I will have some after.

I found when I did this install that the easiest way to grind the area of the block that needed it was to use a 3" cut off wheel in my Rotozip. It got up in there with no problems and made short work of what was in the way. For me the hardest part was figuring out how to maneuver the new, larger alt back in there. That ended up taking more time than the entire rest of the install...

Okay here are some pictures of what I ended up doing to get this big boy to fit. I took the bracket off first and took it to the bench grinder.
March_27_022.jpg

I then to the grinder to block. The grinder made quick work of it. Here you can kinda tell how much I had to take off.
March_27_023.jpg

I had to take the alternators appart to switch out some parts. I then had to cut open the back cover so the plug would fit. Its not pretty but it worked. The alternator off of the durango had two posts for wires to go on. The cherokee has a 2wire plug, so I just swapped them out. Not sure what its called.
March_27_026.jpg

You can see the size differance between the two alternators. I also have my double pulley ready to go for my York set up. Since I sold my YJ I sure do miss my York.
March_27_028.jpg

Not much room to fit this in there but it will go. Here you can see how close it fits to the unibody frame.
March_27_036.jpg

Um, why did you have to cut the alternator housing like that? I put a Durango alt. in my 95 and all I had to do was unscrew and swap the plastic pieces around the posts... I don't think I've ever seen someone have to cut it open like that? Is that something different with the newer XJ's? Or did you get the wrong alt?

Do the 99's-up use a two pin connector vs the two screw on terminal lugs for the voltage regulator? Kind of off topic, but does anybody have problems with alt bearing life running OBA off an extra pulley on the alternator? It looks a little scary to me, but I don't have any experience with OBA.

Last edited:
Okay this is what the back of my 99 alternator looks like.

211-0138_E.jpg

This is the back of what a 97 grand cherokee looks like. That is why I had to swap out parts and cut the back of the case.

210-0144_E.jpg

I have been doing some searching on the denso website and have found that an alternator off of a 99 durango or ram 2500 is a 136 amp and has the corrrect plugs on the back for my cherokee.

The alternotor that I pulled and got put on the other day is making some noise and I am affraid that its going to go out on me soon so I am going to go pick up a different one.

bobb said:
Do the 99's-up use a two pin connector vs the two screw on terminal lugs for the voltage regulator? Kind of off topic, but does anybody have problems with alt bearing life running OBA off an extra pulley on the alternator? It looks a little scary to me, but I don't have any experience with OBA.

I ran a york on my YJ for a few years and never had any problems running the double pulley. Thats why I am doing it again. I realy do miss my York.

Fred85 said:
^approx 80 amps at 800 rpm

any idea what the stocker runs at?

This unit will provide 55-65 amps capability at 800 rpm
I wouldn't call 55-65 "approx 80". Furthermore my jeep doesn't idle at 800 rpm, but more like 500 or 600, which would put the output even lower - probably even lower than the stock unit, which IIRC is something like 35 amps at idle.

And for $110 cheaper I can go to the junk yard and get a 136 amp. To each his own. I spent enough on my lift and gears if I can save $100 on an alternator I'm going to do it. The first alternator didn't cost me anything anyways.

Back