• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new XJ

O

oregonxjman

Hello all. First off I have to say, I am new to the Jeep community, as I have always had full sized trucks that I have wheeled. So I am asking for a little help here on some good setups. I do have to say, I am very impressed with the off road capabilities of my XJ, even stock, but I would like to put a lift on it. I am thinking of running 33's, and would like to know what those of you out running 33's have for lifts. Also, how many of you have changed gears and lockers or no? I don't have a ton of money for this project, but also don't want to go cheap on it either. Gear changes and lockers can come later. Thanks for anyhelp, and look forward to wheelin with you all.

Welcome aboard! I had a 3/4 ton 'burb (manual trans!) that I wheeled before I got the XJ, so I know where you're coming from. To answer your question, I'm running about 3.5" of lift, with 1.5-2.0" of spacers and shackles (equivelant to a body lift in big-truck speak) for a total of around 5.5" overall. I run 33" TSLs, but unlike most people around here, they're 10.50's rather than 12.50s. They stuff into the fender really well, and I've done very little trimming. I had to regear to 4.56 because I was 3.07 before...with a 5-speed...not fun. Anyway, with the wealth of information available here, you should have a champion in no time.

Can you make it to the snow run next weekend?

-----Matt-----

Hey . . .

I'm running 33*12.5s with 5" of lift, trimming and bumpstops. I had stock (3.55 w/ auto) gears and immediately felt the need to regear to 4.56s although it isn't mandatory. I'd also plan on a SYE, driveshaft, shims, new shocks, and new wheels to get those meats in the right place (~4" backspace). Lockers are a great addition even before the lift for wheelin' IMO. I didn't really go the "cheap" route so the costs ended up around $4K for lift (all parts), tires, wheels. Gears and a front ARB locker was another $1,500 IIRC . . .

Anyway, welcome. Enjoy and with searching/posting you'll find the answers right here.

Cheers,

DR

You will find much more info on the modified forum and doing lots of searching will provide unlimited info.

33's are acceptable with stock gears with an auto and 4.0 for a period of time. You will loose get up and go, but will find more need for lower gears on the trail and will want to do it eventually.

33's usually run 4.5" of lift plus reasonably trimming or 6" of lift and very little trimming. As a rough estimate. Not all lifts or tire sizes are created equal.

Lots of cheap tricks if you are intersted we can each talk about it for hours on a run.

Michael

Back