• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case woes,..

BILLXJ

NAXJA Forum User
sometime ago I pulled my transfer case from one of my older 2.8 liter XJ's to use on a new project assumeing that it was a NP207 case. Upon removeing,I subsequently discovered from the oval outside tag that it was a NP208 and so I went back to the Clinton manual for the appropriate diagram .Now after splitting the case + dis-assembly I find that the internal gearing mechnism more closely resembles a NP228 and I go get another diagram-Does anyone know for sure how I can POSITIVELY identify the CORRECT transfer case I have?-.-I would really like to get on with a speedy and timely rebuild and to purchase a transfer case rebuild-kit, but I am currently stumped.I have been advised by a commercial transmission parts vendor to check the front+rear output oil seals and if they are the same the case is a NP228 and if they different it is a NP208. Also I was told though another process of elimination if,... on the same parts to look for code designation like 207 or 207 over the numerals 6207. -:confused: At this point in the process this mechnical novice is beginning to seriously think about going over and sticking his head in the proverbial oven-TIA

I've *never* heard of an NP 208 coming in an XJ. I have seen 228's,207's,242's,and 231's. The only rigs I've ever seen with a 208 were F/S Chevies and later model SJ's. The 228 could be a possibility,though,as I have one in my garage that came from an XJ w/2.8/auto. If you need any parts,let me know. It looks like it was rebuilt not too long ago.

,..yes there is a very good possibility that it might be a NP228.-Is there anyway to confirm this though markings or some reference material? This ole tired XJ was aqquired during my pre-NAXJA days and the transfer case was replaced by another party and.... I paid good hard-earned money Boy,I feel like a sucker,.. On hindsight I am now beginning to think that I should have checked more closely on what was going on with the transfer case replacement/repair.On closer inspection it now appears that the input gear was simply exchanged. . I've said it before and I'll say it again,.. if you are a Jeep Cherokee owner it simply PAYS to be here at NAXJA to get informed,

Well,I can say the 228 is a LOT bigger than a 231. It's designed to be in a F/S rig. I've got an '83 SJ Cherokee with a 229 t-case,and they're the same dimensions on the outside. There's a "C-15367" cast into the rear half of the case near the output shaft's housing neck if that helps any. Does this t-case have a fixed yoke or a slip yoke? Is it a "full time" case or "part time" case? Other than that,the New Process ID tag should have all the info on it. Mine gives the model #,serial # and low range ratio. Let me know if I can help out any further :D

BTW: I don't know for sure if the 228 and 229 use the same type of viscous coupler to connect the front and rear shafts together or not,but if they do and yours is shot,you may as well toss it out and buy another one,'cause they are around $400 for a replacement part:eek:

..since this is my first foray into any transfer case (..with the sage advice of some forum regulars..) I am beginning to seriously re-think my decision to undertake this rebuild and think of contracting this transfer case rebuild out to one of the local transmission vendors.It does have a slip-yoke and is a part-time case . To re-state the earlier thread,I initially thought this was a NP208 because of the ID tag.-But no. Thanks for the "heads-up" on that "C-15367" cast into the rear half",..will be anxiously looking to confirm if this is the NP228 case -So far I have'nt been able to find too much ID infomation in the way of casted numbers/letters on any of the parts.-THX again,..

If it's got a slip yoke and it's a part time case,I would really only think it could be a 207 or 231. Both are fairly good 'cases for a build,although the 231 enjoys more aftermarket support.

at this point in time it appears to me to be a NP228. Also last night I located the "C-15367" designation on the transfer case,so I'm going to order a rebuild-kit on that assumption.Anyone here at the NAXJA forum have any opinions/comments they might want to share on the strength/durability aspects of the NP228 versus some other transfer cases ?- TIA

The 1986 FSM shows only the 207 for part-time cases, and both the 228 and 229 as full-time (Selec-Trac) cases. I can never keep them straight, but one uses a viscous coupling and the other uses a mechanical differential inside the case. Functionally they are the same.

The 228 and 229, I believe, are full-time only. In 4WD high range I don't think you can get a locked, part-time position.

Well,I know the 229 uses the viscous coupling,as that's what's in my SJ. I cringe everytime I pull it into 4WD. I'm waiting on the fateful day that the axle disconnect doesn't connect and I try to drive off and rip the coupling apart. OTOH,it'll be a good excuse as any to swap it out for a 208 and stop worrying about it :D

..thanks all. Had taken this NP228 apart sometime ago with limited reference materials and had gotten lost over the ensueing time period in the process...slowly getting a clearer picture now.-and now I remember,it does have a mechanical differential inside the case.

In all my research and looking when I was going to buy a different 86 here's what I came up with....
The 86's Auto's came with the 228 Selec-trac which have a 2wd, 4wd (FT), N, and 4 low (PT) selection on the tcase shifter. There also is a switch on the console behind the transmision shifter that is flipped to engage the front driveshaft (non disco axle, coupler is in the tcase).
Here's a little something about shifting ect.. for the 228 - http://www.ifsja.org/tech/tcase/selectrac.shtml
And one last thing... the 228 has a fixed yoke, if your tcase has a slip yoke then it is either a 207 which is a part time tcase (what is in mine behind the ax-5).... then again an S-10 tcase might have been swapped in, I don't remember for sure but I think they were 208's
Mike B.

My '85 XJ Limited Wag. 2.5L has the 229 Selec Trac. It also has the Chrysler 999 3 speed auto tranny as well. It's a full time set up, the TC lever goes: 4H-N-4L and that's it. These models have the vacuum straight to the TC, no vacuum line to the front D30. Controlled by a little flip switch on the center console 2wd/4wd (which often goes bad). Mine has a CV joint in the front driveshaft with a rubber boot over it right in front of the TC. Also it has CVs in the front axle (weird?) Came with 4.10s from the factory. The 229 comes from the full size Jeep (SJ) so it's pretty stout as far as I'm concerned. I believe the viscous coupler is used in the 229.

228 is Gear center Diff, 229 is Viscous coupler. BOTH have a Fixed rear yoke.

If it's a 22X case, there will be TWO shift levers on the case...One for 2-4wd, one for High-low.

No Locked 4wd in high...only Full-time. 4low is locked ft/rear.

Back