• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stalling at start

littlebluexj

NAXJA Forum User
OK guys and the few girls on here. This is yet another question from me.

my jeep
1988 xj 4dr.(bashed)
4.0(245k), aw4(1k), 242(broken)

It has a slow loopy ideal it will ideal fine at 500 rpms then go down to 200s rpm and back up to a 1000 rpms. It will ideal fine and not die, when I get on the gas, trying to slowly creep into it or even getting on it hard it just dies will not even go up in rpms just dies.

I have to hold the brake down start the car and rev the motor to 1k or alittle more to get going from dead stop.

It did this before and I cleaner the vacume hoses and even replaced most of them last week.I clean the ccv valve at the back of the valve cover at the same time and it stopped doing it.

But why is it now 2 days later doing it again?

The motor needs a rebuild bad it has over 245k on it and the worm rings are out enough to give me serious blow by but that shouldn't be the culprit right?

Thank you for yuor time

William

If your plugs are fouling, it could cause the stalling and generally make it run like chit. The fouling sometimes burns off when the motor is hot. Very low compression/vacuum will also make it run poorly. Compression of around 105 or ao, is in my experience the end of the road for that set of rings.
When the EGR is acting up it will stall and idle poorly. Make sure the electircal to the EGR solenoid is hooked up. The default for the vacuum solenoid to operate the EGR, is open. The EGR shouldn't be working until the motor temp is up and there are enough RPM's and vacuum not to make the motor stall. I had one EGR that hung open, the motor wouldn't idle and would often stall when the RPM's went down.
A bad MAP or the plastic vacuum line to the MAP being broken, not plugged up or plugged into the wrong hole (upside down) on the side of the TB. Will make it run really rich and surge, change RPM's and stall.
A stuck closed IAC or even one that is really sticky, will make low RPM operation hard. If you have to depress te pedal at all to get it started, that's a sign the IAC may be sticking.
Bad (or wet) plug cables or fouled plugs, will make it stall when a couple of cylinders aren't firing right. Extremely low compression will do this also. Unburnt fuel and excess air is dumped in the exhaust and the O2 sensor goes nuts trying to regulate the fuel air mix.
Just a couple of possibilities, there are other reasons less likely.

Back