• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OD shift in and out alot!

Jimminyc

NAXJA Forum User
Ok is this normal?? Im very excited to have overdrive, since it never worked since i got the jeep a few months ago. Makes a big diff of course. Anyway, when running at about 40 mph, it shifts in and out of overdrive depending on where i hold the throttle. All the way off it always shifts out of od. If i hold the throttle on abotu a half inch, it will stay in od. But im somewhat worried about the wear this might be causing since it goes in and out everytime i push the throttle.
Is this normal? does this have anything to do with my tires/gears?
89 w/ aw4, 34's, 4:56's
Dunkashane!

It has everything to do with your tires and gears, and engine torque. Don't drive in OD if you are going 40. You are too low on the torque curve in OD . the added rolling resistance and weight of the bigger tires require more torque than stock wheels and tires. If at 40 MPH you are constantly shifting in and out of 4th, you should leave your transmission in 3rd.

or don't hover around 40 MPH.

Sooooo, think theres a way to adjust the tps so it wont do this so often?. or maybe i just need to install a TC lockout switch. I think ive seen some writeups on that.

what kind of distances are you driving at 40mph? if it's that much of an issue, maybe you should get a smaller set of AT's for street driving.

Allowing the torque converter to slip for long distances would heat up your transmission fluid considerably shortening the fluid and torque converters lifetime,

Jimminyc said:
All the way off it always shifts out of od. If i hold the throttle on abotu a half inch, it will stay in od.
Is this normal? does this have anything to do with my tires/gears?
89 w/ aw4, 34's, 4:56's
Dunkashane!

That sounds alot like the torque converter locking and unlocking, not shifting in and out of OD. Especially since it's around 40mph. It unlocks when you let off the throttle so you can coast, and locks back up at around 40mph(43mph for mine) when you lightly push on the gas. My XJ is definately more noticeable when it locks/unlocks than any other kind of vehicle I have driven. Mine did it stock at 64,000 miles, and still does it now at 93,000 with 31's, same speed, both stock and lifted.

Back