• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to Mount Plexiglass "windshield"

93JXJ

NAXJA Member #1174
I flopped my XJ and destroyed the windshield and screwed the pillars up enough that a stock windshield won't go back in. What's everyone's ideas on a replacement windshield - and how in the heck to mount it? I've tried cutting some impact plexiglass - but it's a strange shape and broken a few pieces trying to screw through it. I'm not looking for water tight - just something to keep some water out.
BTW - it's just a trail rig.

I am in the same boat, but have been without a WS since August.
To tell you the truth, it's really very breezy and cool in the summer.
But, I know that the front of the dash board can cause some problems.
If I ever need a WS bad enough, I'll probably cut the rest of the roof off and just screw some plexi to the cage.:dunce:

i trimmed mine to fit then pre-drilled the holes in the plexi and the screwed it in with some self tapping screws and i also used a little silicone to seal it up, no leaks so far!

Well I'd say cut it to size and either put some sheetmetal screws through holes in it, or just urethane the whole thing in. Primer the metal and pinch weld up with urethane primer so it'd stick. Plexiglass sucks though for a driving windshield, it'll be beat to hell quick. If you can at all pull the pillars back out enough to possibly fit in a stock window, then I would do it.

I used to do autoglass for a living.

Connect said:
Well I'd say cut it to size and either put some sheetmetal screws through holes in it, or just urethane the whole thing in. Primer the metal and pinch weld up with urethane primer so it'd stick. Plexiglass sucks though for a driving windshield, it'll be beat to hell quick. If you can at all pull the pillars back out enough to possibly fit in a stock window, then I would do it.

I used to do autoglass for a living.
Well, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I guess I more worried about stuff blowing in when I tow it down the road. I think my plan (everyone will love this) will be to mount a piece of plywood to keep water and road junk out.
What do you guys think about spraying some waterproofing on the dashboard so that water doesn't really leak down (of course, I guess the water will have to go somewhere)?

UrbnXj said:
i trimmed mine to fit then pre-drilled the holes in the plexi and the screwed it in with some self tapping screws and i also used a little silicone to seal it up, no leaks so far!

I did this for my rear window except I used 3/16th stick on camper seal from autozone. I placed the srews every 4" and no leaks yet.

if you're only worried about when you tow it, get a tarp and some top notch bungee cords or a SUV car cover... you could keep that on it even when it's sitting and you can get them waterproof.

I made a rear window out of regular thick plexiglass, and found that a wood drill bit worked best, without cracking it. I don't know what they're called, but it's got the small pilot point. Plus, I had to back up each drill hole with wood or similar to prevent the back from blowing out. hth

if you use lexan it wont crack.. when you drill it.. when i had a honda i used lexen on the rear three windows and put black rtv sealant on the inside never had problem with leaks and drove it every day..

Back