• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what's a good dana 30 locker?

tompatjr

NAXJA Forum User
I had plans to run a truetrac, but I plan to use at a 35" SS TSL tire maybe a 36". I have heard they won't stand up to that size tire. I also understand the D30 is marginal with this tire size as well, but I already have 4.88's, install kit and a truetrac. More importantly the D30 already in there. I was think about running this until I can build the HP D44 sitting on the floor of my garage.

I thinking about doing the super 30 thing, who makes that thing? I'm thinking along the lines of selectable locker, or very nice limited slip like the truetract if one will stand up to 35-36 inch tires.

BTW, I searched but the function won't recognize numbers like 30 so I get every post with super in it.

Thanks

Don't waste the money. sell the stuff you have right now before its broken and buy at least a d44 if you want to run 36's. with an open carrier the d-30 will survive with 35 inch tires, lock it and you'll wish you hadn't wasted the money, or the parts.

also, when you search, try "d30 superior super kit" or "superior super kit" searching is a fine art and takes much practice, especially with the constraints put on us by limited server space/budget.

if your looking to go 30 spline front end, look at the alloy-usa grande 30 kit as well. basically the same thing, but you may find a better price.

as far as good dana 30 lockers go.. that depends on what you are looking to do. dana 30 arb's have a habit of falling apart, detroits work well, aussie's, lock-rites, ecteds..

cal said:
if your looking to go 30 spline front end, look at the alloy-usa grande 30 kit as well. basically the same thing, but you may find a better price.

as far as good dana 30 lockers go.. that depends on what you are looking to do. dana 30 arb's have a habit of falling apart, detroits work well, aussie's, lock-rites, ecteds..

What makes you think D30 ARB's fall apart :dunno: :laugh:

Paul

Paul S said:
What makes you think D30 ARB's fall apart :dunno: :laugh:

Paul

hahahahhaha i need to send you pictures of that arb tore down. seriously, its like someone took a press to it. the cross pin is broken in 3 peices, the housing has cracks all through it.. theres alot more damage, but i cant remember what off of the top of my head. maybe clean_racing will chime in with photo's, its sitting on his bench.

An honest up front statement about what you plan to do with the rig has huge bearing on how it needs to be built...do you have a manual tranny or an auto?? Do you have a "ain't skeered" attitude and endless money?? Describe your driving technique....finesse or heavy footed....do you choose good lines or take the hardest ones on purpose?? Rocks, trails, mud or mall posing?

The 30 ain't as whimpy as most think if the application is right...as for a locker...a plain 'ol lock rite works good and if ya kill it, you won't be out major bux...the ARB is very good, but will not tolerate a tweaked housing, or any tube flex to speak of...I killed a Tru trac with wheelspin/hooking up...

Still kinda scary for 35's or 36's except maybe with a lot of finesse...in any case shock load from overactive throttle and clutch feet will get you in trouble.

If you are gonna play with the big boys in the big rocks...it most likely won't hack it. In the end knowing when to say "uncle" and break out the strap has more to do with it than you can imagine.

Back