• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wired Aux. Back-up light, question?

Tom Campbell

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i wired an auxillary back up light with a relay and used the back up lights as switch source. So the light comes on when ever i hit reverse. But thats not all i did: I wired the source light onto a double blade which also has a wire running to a switch. this way i wanted to be able to turn the light on manually without having to be in reverse. (good for work light or just to get theose ricers off my @$$ and out of my hitch ;)) Well it wasnt till i finished wiring things up and cover it all when i realized what i did. When i flip the switch the regular reverse lights light up and the power reverse flows and the regular lights are now being powered by a tiny 18 guage wire and the switch (ok so the stock wire isnt better and is indeed longer but...) Anyways i dont want the lights to be running through the switch so i see 3 ways around this. One, put some kinda resistor on the line feeding from the taillights so current only flows in one direction (have no idea what this would be or how to wire in, this a diode?) two, I think they make a special relay for this but im not sure, three, cut factory lights and wire them through the aux. relay (dont want to touch this). Im sure there are a couple of other solutions but i cant think of any right now.

So anyone have any ideas?

Oh and this may be a fourth, but its hard to think straight right now im all jumbled, Have the source wire from the taillights wire up to the switch which will turn them on with the reverse lights or i think by themselves? i cant think if the current would backflow in this case or not either..... I know im close!

Ok Thanks. Is there an easy, secure way to wire those inline with the wire without getting to fancy? Something like an inline holder that they might have for a fuse?

Back