• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 27 vs 29 spline

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
I know a while ago I found a thread refering to determining wether a 8.25 axle is 27 or 29 spline, but that refered to the year of the cherokee, I know all that, I recently had to replace my rear end, though, and the part I got from the junk yard didnt have the year of the jeep it was removed from so I have no year refrence. Is there any way to determine wether you have a 27 or 29 spline other than by the year of the vehicle?

IIRC, year of Jeep isn't even definitive. I have a 96 and would love to know myself. I suppose the best way to know for sure would be to take it apart but I have no desire to do that just to see.

Just pull one of the axles and count splines. :)
Or stay in the dark like riverfever.:kissyou:

Kyung

Corbina, then you gotta pull that diff cover and I don't know about that. I'm slowly learning my Jeep. Most of the stuff I do with it is similar to the work I've done on any of my other cars. Never had a 4X4 though and the axles intimidate me a bit. I would like to know though. If they were 29 spline then I could just do gears and then after the 31's were out I could get 33's. I know I'd whince if I opened up the diff though.

I just went out looked under my Jeep at the rear end and felt it...it definitely feels like a 29 spline. :)

At some point you're going to have to open it up, most likely when you do a fluid change. It's a simple operation.
Remove one bolt that holds the crosspin in place and slip the pin out.
Push the passenger side wheel inward and the splines will be visible.
Mark one of the spines (a white-out pen works great), count the splines.
Pull the wheel back a bit, if the c-clip falls off...put it back on before re-inserting the crosspin.
Re-insert the crosspin and the retaining bolt.
BadaBoom, Badabing.

You forgot the part where the sky falls Frank.

I was the kid in kindergarten that hated going to school and would make myself sick each morning but be OK once I got to school. I finally figured out that it was b/c at the end of each day Mrs. Cosgrove used to say, "OK kids...tomorrow we'll try something different." That scared the crap out of me. I NEVER tell my students that.

riverfever said:
Corbina, then you gotta pull that diff cover and I don't know about that. I'm slowly learning my Jeep. Most of the stuff I do with it is similar to the work I've done on any of my other cars. Never had a 4X4 though and the axles intimidate me a bit. I would like to know though. If they were 29 spline then I could just do gears and then after the 31's were out I could get 33's. I know I'd whince if I opened up the diff though.

I just went out looked under my Jeep at the rear end and felt it...it definitely feels like a 29 spline. :)
Yeah. Mine felt like a 29 spline too, but it ended up being 27. No worries though. I've got a d44 now.

Kyung

riverfever said:

Did you remember to say "now cough" first, if not you probably got a false positive on the 29 spline. I'd try it again.

1 Last question do you scare the hell out of your own students now by telling them the same thing that scared you back then?
Daniel

Back