• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3791 small joint hole size?

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
According to the Rubicon Express web site, their small 3791 joint is a direct replacement for stock rubber upper control arm joints and takes a 10mm bolt. I have an application where I want to use these joints, but the hole in the mounting bracket for the bolt is 7/16" and I have been using a 7/16" diameter bolt. I would like to continue to use this bolt in the new joints. Anybody know if it will fit? If not, would it be easy to run a drill through the RE joints or is that some sort of hardened steel? Jeff

I thought the balls were chromo but I don't know how hard they are. I would say give it a try but what is the app? I haven't looked at the small Rubicon joints but there doesn't appear to be much material around the Currie joints at the small point.

It's for a track bar. I am running a straight bar with stock stock rubber joints on both ends right now. In the past, the stock rubber joints have gotten loose on the 10mm bolt, so I drilled out the little tits on the stock rubber center sleeve to fit a bigger/stronger 7/16" bolt. The stock center sleeve was very hard, but the joints that I modified only had a few small indents that needed to be shaved down and a cobalt bit ate them away fairly easily. So, I also drilled my custom double sheer mounting tabs to 7/16". The double sheer tabs are 2" apart, so I am using a spacer on either side of the stock rubber joint to take up the room. However, I now want to switch to a spherical joint of some type. The RE 3791 joint will fit into the 2" space nicely and others have run this joint on track bars with no problems, so that is my plan. The only problem I see is that my 7/16" bolt isn't going to slip through the RE center ball. Hence the question. Jeff

The only part that worries me is where it necks down right beside the ball. I do think they would be much harder to drill than the stock ones.

I would really consider going to the larger joints. Your only talking 1/2" wider and then just modify your bracket to fit. I broke 2 stock bolts and the 7/16" still worries me.

Back