• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble PITA

SourApple

NAXJA Forum User
hey, i jsut put in new hub asssemlys. and i still have a death wobble... at 50 that is soo terrible... does it have to do with the 5 inch lift and the stock track bar and stock control arms... becuase they track bar is in the mail and the long arms are on wednesdays agneda.. thannk

stock track bar with 5" lift no drop bracket for ur trac bar? sounds like trouble to me...install your stuff and report in..it's most likely your trac bar...

well drop track bar brackets aren't always the ticket, i thought that if the trackbar and drag link weren't parallel you'd get bump steer? if its not solved by your long arms and new trackbar then its time to check ball joints and damn near everything else in your front end. you might want to also check the axle side mount for your trackbar as it is fairly common for that hole to oval out. also try using the search function, death wobble is all over these forums.

Mike

Finish up the lift, do an alignment, then report back here if your still having problems....WAY too many variables with a half done lift. :confused1 Im willing to bet its probably a toe-in problem if it started right after you put the lift on. Control arms and trackbar rarely cause DW....most of the time its caused by F'ed up alignments(usually toe), worn tie rod ends or something terrably loose.

Jeffro600 said:
Finish up the lift, do an alignment, then report back here if your still having problems....WAY too many variables with a half done lift. :confused1 Im willing to bet its probably a toe-in problem if it started right after you put the lift on. Control arms and trackbar rarely cause DW....most of the time its caused by F'ed up alignments(usually toe), worn tie rod ends or something terrably loose.

Not to threadjack, but Toe can cause DW? I only ask because my Rig has always run awesome. Ever since I swapped the stock steering out for Rock Krawlers new steering, I get Nasty DW even at 5mph. If I hit a bump, I get DW.

jephs422 said:
Not to threadjack, but Toe can cause DW? I only ask because my Rig has always run awesome. Ever since I swapped the stock steering out for Rock Krawlers new steering, I get Nasty DW even at 5mph. If I hit a bump, I get DW.
An excessive amount, yes...when i did the lift on my XJ(from stock to almost 6"), it toed it almost an inch and was the cause of some pretty insane death wobble....would come on at almost any speed from a slow crawl to highway speeds anytime you hit a bump. Didnt touch anything else, but just adjusted the toe and it went away and hasnt come back once. You do want a slight amount of toe in...i believe like 1/16th-1/8th of an inch....mine seemed to do best at 0 though. Id be willing to bet thats why your getting the DW...your probably toed in a whole bunch...its super easy to measure and adjust.

Jeffro600 said:
An excessive amount, yes...when i did the lift on my XJ(from stock to almost 6"), it toed it almost an inch and was the cause of some pretty insane death wobble....would come on at almost any speed from a slow crawl to highway speeds anytime you hit a bump. Didnt touch anything else, but just adjusted the toe and it went away and hasnt come back once. You do want a slight amount of toe in...i believe like 1/16th-1/8th of an inch....mine seemed to do best at 0 though. Id be willing to bet thats why your getting the DW...your probably toed in a whole bunch...its super easy to measure and adjust.

could you please tell me how to measure and adjust? thanks

When I first did my lift I had bad DW on the highway on bumps. An alignment didn't correct the problem, so when I put my new, balanced MT/R's on, the DW weant away but it still has a slight wobble around 50-55 mph. I'm still using the stock track bar with no drop bracket, I'm confident that a proper trackbar will solve what's left of the wobble.

Anyone know the proper castor angle on a 92 D30?? When I put my lift on I didn't have an angle finder to check it, but there were two 1/4" shims per side on the LCA's. However My new LCA's were longer then stock so I now only run 1 shim per side, I tried 2 per side and none per side, and niether helped the wobble situation either, so I'd just like to get it back to stock.

what about the steering stabilizer? could that fix it? i just had mine aligned because i had DW at 30mph after tweakin the front end on the trail, now i have it at around 40-45mph.

Back