• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axles for Rocks

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
OK, having had good response to the gearing thread that resulted from almost slitting my wrists at the thought of reading another gearing question, I bring you "Axles for Rocks". A definitive overview of the axle/tire combinations that I have seen work, and fail, in ten years of wheeling granite, slickrocks, cobble and volcanic nastiness. The last 4 or 5 of these years I have been building and fixing axle junk as well.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about wheeling in mud, except that I hate it. I have no idea what works and what doesn't, but if you follow the rules below, you'll have no trouble in the goo.

Disclaimer #2: The below is for XJ's. They run about 5,000-5,300 loaded for a trail run and a weekend of camping. They have 4.0 to 4.7 liter motors. If you have other junk in your junk, write your own damned thread.

Rear axles: The weak link in most rear axle setups is the shaft itself. C-clips, Set bearings or full-float makes no difference in torsional strength, it's all about axle shaft diameter. Lockers add a huge load to shafts, so you'll see two numbers for each axle. That said:

MTS (maximum tire size):

Dana 35: 31's with a locker, 31's without a locker. (This axle doesn't care if it's loaded or empty. It just plain sucks.) Weak housing, thin tubes, and a small 7.5" gear don't add up to much. I've seen them successfully trussed with a 30 spline kit stand up to 33', however.

29 spline Chryco 8.25: 33's with a locker, 35's without a locker. I just can't trust a 29 spline shaft to 35's with a locker. MAYBE with upgraded shafts. Good stiff housing, though, which contributes greatly to carrier and ring gear strength. upgrade your 27 spline to 29, and you'll gain these benifits.

Dana 44: 35's with a locker, 36's without a locker. You can super-fy this axle with 33 and 35 spline shafts now, but the pinion becomes the weak link. They are a fairly good axle for most duty, but housing rigidity can become an issue with larger tires and high speed romps. Their tubes are not much larger than a 35. You could go 37's with 35 spline shafts if you kept your foot out of the throttle.

Ford 8.8: 35's with a locker, 36's without a locker. Very similar in strength to a 44. Carriers are a weak link when used in extreme environments. New carriers are being introduced to address the weak 2 pinion carrier design. Shafts are beefy at 31 spline, but no diameter upgrades are available. Pinion shaft is very beefy, same as a 9". Weld the tubes all the way around to the pumpkin, or they WILL spin.

Toyota 8": 35's with a locker, 36's without a locker. I'm always very impressed by Toyota quality, they are worlds ahead in quality control and tolerances. The Toy 8" uses the same shafts as a Dana 44, 30 spline, but with a bunch more ground clearance.. The case is more rigid, and has a bit more hypoid offset too, which helps in R&P strength. The Toy guys flog this axle pretty hard with 37's, but I have seen enough break with that size tire under 22RE 4 cylinder power to make me keep the limits at D-44 levels for a much torquier 4.0.

Ford 9": Special mention for this axle. It is very stout. Shafts are available in 28, 31,33,35,40 and maybe 46 spline. All are not created equal, though. A crappy OEM housing and center section will flex like a wet noodle. Do yourself a favor and get a good Strange nodular iron case and a nice stiff Currie Extra HD or Diamond housing as a base. Built this way, and with 35 spline shafts, it has no trouble holding 39" tires. The pinion is way low on these, which is why most of us that run the deep rocks shun this axle. The pinion always seems to be spinning on rocks. Edit: The new series of high pinion cases made by Currie and TrueHi9 deserve special mention, as Brett points out. The Currie unit is truly a Ford reverse spiral 8.8 from the front of an F-150/Expedition. They lack the third pinion support and hypoid offset of a 9" ring and pinion, and thus have limitations when used in the rear (remember, that's running on the coast side of the gear set). 35's is the limit on these, even though you can get it in 35 spline, it's a waste, because the ring and pinion are weaker than a 31 spline shaft. The TrueHi9 folks have addressed this by having Richmond cut a true 9" reverse spiral gearset for them. They have also included extra ring gear deflection support and a nodular housing for extra beef. 35 spline axles plus this case and you're good to go to 39's. This will be my next axle when I finally break my 8.8 (again).

Dana 60: Yummy. Can accept 30, 35, 40, and 46 spline shafts. Very stout cases and large tubes make this a desirable axle. The pinion is very large, the ring gear is 9.75", and the carrier bearings are huge. This is the axle you want if you want to run 40" tires, larger if you go with a 40 spline shaft. A high pinion unit will accept less than this due to running on the coast side of the ring gear, but still, it would have no trouble with 38's. Easily trimmed and weldable case make this axle fun for shaving and adding link mounts.

Dana 70/Ford 10.25/14 bolt: This is the true one ton series of axles put out by the OEM's. They are fine and dandy, but the parts and gear ratios can be limited, bigger shafts are more difficult to run than a 60, and they tend to have more ring gear strength than is really necessary for a Jeep. The ring gear size comes into play when towing, not really in Jeeping. This makes them more difficult to trim, as the gear fills most of the case. These axles all have 1.5" diameter shafts, (35 and 31 spline due to difference in spline size), and as such, can be run with the same tires as a 60.

Rockwells: A fine axle. Difficult to fit, impossible to re-gear, and quite portly. They can never-the-less handle 44's with ease on a non-sterring axle in a rear application.

I haven't worked on the various portals out there, so I won't speak to them.

Front axles to come tomorrow.

CRASH

Last edited:
thank you CRASH! great guide. perhaps something worth mentioning is the HP centers for the 9", both the Currie (8.8") and the TrueHi9. Currie limits the tire size they will allow (33 or 35?) under warranty. My understanding is the TrueHi9 gears are even stronger than a HPD60 because of the pinion being so offset. Also, the aftermarket for Toyota has really continued to grow, and a Taco axle (falsely called the 8.4) trussed with 4130 shafts is quite a bit stronger than the regular 8", perhaps locked on 37s would be acceptable(?)

also, you mention an XJ weighing 5000-5300 packed for the trail, have you weighed yours or have other people's numbers? I had a thread going a while back with rig weights and there were only a few that knew. (mine's 3600, no tools or people :D )

BrettM said:
thank you CRASH! great guide. perhaps something worth mentioning is the HP centers for the 9", both the Currie (8.8") and the TrueHi9. Currie limits the tire size they will allow (33 or 35?) under warranty. My understanding is the TrueHi9 gears are even stronger than a HPD60 because of the pinion being so offset. Also, the aftermarket for Toyota has really continued to grow, and a Taco axle (falsely called the 8.4) trussed with 4130 shafts is quite a bit stronger than the regular 8", perhaps locked on 37s would be acceptable(?)

also, you mention an XJ weighing 5000-5300 packed for the trail, have you weighed yours or have other people's numbers? I had a thread going a while back with rig weights and there were only a few that knew. (mine's 3600, no tools or people :D )

Done, thanks for the tip.

The last time I weighed mine (6 years ago), I was running a Dana 30, 33" TSL's, and a Dana 30. With a set of tools and spares and nothing else, it weighed 4,000. That was no winch, no cage, no camping stuff, no dogs, no Britt. It did have Tomken bumpers and a roof rack at the time, though.

5,200 is what we discussed at BOTW......

CRASH

Thanks Crash on getting this all in writing. There are so many threads starting up with questions on gearing and what axles to run with what tires so it's good to have a good list that lays it out. You are right on the $ with this stuff. Cannot wait for the front axle series. :laugh3: I got the 35 spline Yukon 1540 alloy shafts and the Strange Nodular case. Do you think my full width 9" axle housing will hold up good to 37's? You said it flexes alot? The only thing I regret about getting the 35 spline 9" shafts is that I didn't get 40 spline shafts. I cannot wait to run this in my jeep and have some piece of mind with my enhanced gearing and axle strength.

I know the early bronco "Banjo" style has less strength than the later full width "Triangulated" housing. I know you will really like the 9" when you go to it with the 35 spline shafts and Strange Nodular Case. Then you can run the 37" MTRs I hear you have. :)

I would suggest a full width 9" with some aftermarket goodies over a dana 60, check this link out, the 9" is the king of r&p and has tons of aftermarket support. With a nice pinion slider like the 2nd link, the low pinion can be alleviated.

http://www.sunrayengineering.com/nine.html

Get this if you are worried about the low 9" pinion and hitting rocks:

http://www.fourtreks.com/yoke_guard.html

Troy

Actually I was saying that Dynatrac says you can run larger than 38" tires. I wasn't saying it to pump up Dynatrac, but to point out that some hp60s can go larger.

Just curious, have you ever had experence with the 44 found in zjs and if so what is your opinion of them. thanks

Great write-up Crash!

If this does make it to Sticky or FAQ status, a chart with relative strength ratings and widths could be nice. That way people could look at the stats for themselves.

junkxj said:
Just curious, have you ever had experence with the 44 found in zjs and if so what is your opinion of them. thanks

The general consensus is that they suck. While I wouldn't go that far, they have their limitations. Availability of gearing and diff choices being the main ones. They are light though(alum. centersection). And they use a gearset common w/ the Viper and Vette. The ability to hold up to a lot of power is not generally a problem.

It might also help to have a sticky or something that tells what years and makes that have the axles. I know pirate has one, I think, but might be good to have one here too. That would help a lot of people, including myself.

junkxj said:

Chrysler made a big mistake and tried to lighten up an already light and strong dana 44 and made the ZJ 44 out of aluminum and made it a certain way that it needs custom parts to upgrade which are hard to find or not available at all. There are lots of ZJ 44 around, almost always coming in the V8 models, but don't be confused a ZJ 44 is not a TJ 44 or XJ 44, those 2 are real cast iron dana 44, not custom aluminum crap. The TJ 44 is the weaker a little weaker than the XJ 44 because it has very similar axle tube diameter to the common dana 35. Just truss it and run it. It should be fine, but it needs a little help due to the smaller tubes that Chrysler decided to run on them. They are not cheap and run from $1K-1.5K (Pirate & on Ebay)for a rear TJ 44 whereas the XJ 44 can be had for around $300-400 or so.

Starboard M said:
It might also help to have a sticky or something that tells what years and makes that have the axles. I know pirate has one, I think, but might be good to have one here too. That would help a lot of people, including myself.

This, the gearing thread, and the thread I saw about a month ago from a Pirate reference about axle shaft strength are very good. I would like to see that last post expanded a bit to include 35 spline 9" strength compared to 31 spline 8.8 and 9" strength, dana 44 vs dana 60 etc etc. I was shocked to see that the 31 spline 8.8 shafts were just under the strength of the dana 60 shafts.

Thanks guys for the info. I knew they had the aluminum center , and my old zj had one. I have always heard they are all loud ( mine sounded like it had 2 bad wheel bearings from the time it had 20k miles). I have also heard that they use a unique gear set. I guess what I would like to know now is if they use the same gear set as the rubicon and rodeo 44s. I have read that the isuzu and C4s use the same gear set and do the zj 44s? Are all the nonstandard 44s use the same gear set up? If the C4s use the same gear set then why are all the R&P sets advertised for them so much $

very nice, thanks for taking the time

The True Hi9 has no tire limit. I ordered mine last week, & in speaking to them, they're confident that the True Hi9 is stronger than any LP60, HP60, or LP9. Don't know if I believe it or not, a guess time will tell.

Paul

Paul S said:
The True Hi9 has no tire limit. I ordered mine last week, & in speaking to them, they're confident that the True Hi9 is stronger than any LP60, HP60, or LP9. Don't know if I believe it or not, a guess time will tell.

Paul

It will not be stronger than a LP9" because anytime you put a HP axle in the rear, the axle will run on the "Coast" side of the ring gear, just like it will if you run a LP as your front axle. It is nice that True Hi9 has come out with this stuff as it gives a nice alternative, gearing, and strength increase to the Currie HP stuff. Now Currie has some competition. :laugh3:

Troy

explorer said:
They are light though(alum. centersection). And they use a gearset common w/ the Viper and Vette. The ability to hold up to a lot of power is not generally a problem.
Awsome write up! The big reason the can hold up to 1000+HP in the Viper & Vette is because there IRS and have no wieght on them. Also a Viper wieghs 2,000 lbs. less than a ZJ and larger tires don't help either.

Back