• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Whirring Sucking Sound From Lower Dash

92westshady

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ with NP231 and AW-4. I am getting a strange whirring sucker sound coming from appears to coming from my center dash, its probably most likely drivetrain related though it could be higher like the windshield seal or the HVAC intake ont he hood but in center of my vehicle in front of my shifter in the dash or transmission hump. It sounds most similar to a brake pads lightly brushing a brake rotor at a constant pressure or a wid sucking noise. It stops when the vehicle stops so I am guessing it is rotational or wind related.

Anyone have any ideas what this might?

I actually get that too, but mine does it also when stopped, when the engine is started. It seems like the engine is in the car! Really wierd.

Vacuum leak? Simple test- does the A/C and heater function properly? The correct vents and ducts flow air at the proper times? Often a vacuum problem will cause the heater or A/C to blow only thru the defroster, as this is the default. Just a place to start looking.

Not at all. If the engine is running, it's creating vacuum. There is a hose that brings vacuum to the back of the HVAC control, and inside the control there are vvrious slides which cover and uncover ports which allow the vacuum to go out and operate the different doors to direct the airflow. If the system had a total leak, only the windshield defroster vents would blow air, no matter what function you had set on the control. If it all seems works properly, then one of the 'output' hoses may have come loose. Has anyone been under the dash lately- playing with radio wires, etc?

Well yes, as a matter of fact I was playing with the radio and the center console a couple weeks ago and I had a car stereo shop reprgramming my remote start a week or so ago.

If it is a vaccum hose, what do I or better yet what do I look for under the dash to fix it and where?

The only thing is, I have to double check again but I a think I only hear it when the car is moving, that is if it is idling or in park and I rev the engine it doesn't make any sound.

Well, IF the sound is vacuum related, you may have to start disassembling the dash in the area of the HVAC control, and look for a disconnected hose. Maybe once you've got room to look behind things, start the engine to get the hiss going, to direct you to it. Just a thought.

92westshady said:
It sounds like this Sssccchhhhhhhhhccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... HaHa, how can I make it stop other then not driving the Jeep?

Tell your woman to sit in the seat and not the floor!:shocked:

The sound seem less noticeable now. I changed all the fluids and the air filter which was pretty dirty a few days ago and I don't know if that would make a difference but I definitely don't really notice the sound as much. I am gonna keep my ear on it if it pops up I will start ripping things apart.

I'm getting the same noise, but I think mine is related to the brake booster. The brakes are soft and it only makes that noise when I mash the brake pedal.

Back