• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blow by/catch can

littlebluexj

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to try and make this tomarrow on my day off.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77690&highlight=oil+catch

the blow by that i read about is coming from the rear hose on the valve cover but mine is coming from both the rear and front and the front is real bad.it will run oil out of it real bad some days.

is what i have blow by and do i need two of the catch cans one for the front and one for the back.

thank you for any help.
william

One catch can will be enough but the ultimate cure will be to rebuild the engine. You've got too much blowby past worn piston rings and the catch can will only be a band aid fix. At least it'll stop your air filter getting soaked in oil.

One line is for fresh air (front line) and the other is for vacuum (rear line).
If the lines aren't clogged with carbon deposits, you can drill out the oriface on the fittings in the valve cover, to get more flow.
You may also try replacing the old lines with bigger ones.

I may not of explained it right,I understand that the front line(bigger) is for fresh air and the back line is for vacum but both lines are pushing smoke and oil out. I have a custom built air box and tube and the hose that is in the front originaly ran to the air box so I ran the new front hose to the custom air filter tube.that hose(front) is pushing lots of air,smoke,oil out of it and into my air filter tube and thus my motor is breathing it in.

The new question is should I run the catch can on the front hose oppisit(sp) of how dyno did it or what?

And if the front hose is for freash air souldn't it be pulling air through it instead of pushing air oil and smoke out?

thank you all for the help and sorry for the confustion.
William

littlebluexj said:
I may not of explained it right,I understand that the front line(bigger) is for fresh air and the back line is for vacum but both lines are pushing smoke and oil out. I have a custom built air box and tube and the hose that is in the front originaly ran to the air box so I ran the new front hose to the custom air filter tube.that hose(front) is pushing lots of air,smoke,oil out of it and into my air filter tube and thus my motor is breathing it in.

The new question is should I run the catch can on the front hose oppisit(sp) of how dyno did it or what?

And if the front hose is for freash air souldn't it be pulling air through it instead of pushing air oil and smoke out?

The front hose should be pulling in fresh air but because you've got severe piston ring blowby, it's blowing out crankcase oil vapors instead. Since you've got vapors blowing out from both the front and the back, plumb the catch can to the front hose so it can stop most of the oil vapor getting into the air intake.
As I said earlier, you're only delaying the inevitable (an engine rebuild) and if your Jeep fails a smog test due to high hydrocarbon emissions, you'll have to do the rebuild anyway..

Back