• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Fluid that does not require additive...

ODXJ97

NAXJA Forum User
I just paid $25 for an additive after paying $100 for a tranny flush and fill. Do they make a Dexron III that does not require a 1/2 quart of this $$$ additive? Did I REALLY need this stuff, or did I just get bamboozled? :gonnablow I've got a 97' w/AW4.

ODXJ97 said:
I just paid $25 for an additive after paying $100 for a tranny flush and fill. Do they make a Dexron III that does not require a 1/2 quart of this $$$ additive? Did I REALLY need this stuff, or did I just get bamboozled? :gonnablow I've got a 97' w/AW4.
Theres no additive required but what did they sell you?

I think you got hosed.

My 1997 FSM sez to use Dexron IIE/Mercon fluid, and that Dexron II can be used in a pinch. Pretty much every bottle of fluid I've seen in the last few years has been Dexron III, which (last I checked) exceeds the Dexron II and Dexron II/Mercon specs for lubricity, endurance, and anti-wear characteristics.

Is it any wonder I do my own work?

5-90

:gonnablow :gonnablow

A-Holes!!! That's what I figured. I've been driving manual YJs for 12 years, and this is my first automatic... shite'! Live and learn, and all that crap.

Thanks for the info..

look at the bright side. you only got screwed out of $25.
at least you didn't pay $25 for something you needed and got screwed out of $100.

can you find out exactly what this "additive" they put in is called. i got a feeling it's not so much an additive, but more either a "preservative/sealer" or a "cleaner". either way you probably didn't need it, but it would help if you could find out exactly anyways.

just curious.........

Sounds like the place uses the same stuff we do. Our bulk transmission fluid is Dexron II. They probably sold you the additive that makes Dexron II the equal to Dexron III. This addative is simply a friction modifier additive that makes Dexron II perform the same as Dexron III. There is also an additive that will supplement Dexron II or III to make it the equal to ATF IV synthetic.

I think your dipstick or owners manual will say that your AW4 only requires Dexron II or IIE, which means you didnt need the additive.

5-90 said:
I think you got hosed.

My 1997 FSM sez to use Dexron IIE/Mercon fluid, and that Dexron II can be used in a pinch. Pretty much every bottle of fluid I've seen in the last few years has been Dexron III, which (last I checked) exceeds the Dexron II and Dexron II/Mercon specs for lubricity, endurance, and anti-wear characteristics.

Is it any wonder I do my own work?

5-90

Sorry you got hosed! It is getting harder and harder to find an honest company in any field! And 5-90 is correct about Dexron III.

Momma Mopar said:
Dexron II fluid IS NOT recommended. Clutch
chatter can result from the use of improper
fluid.
Mopart Dexron IIE/Mercon automatic transmission
fluid when new is red in color. The ATF is dyed red
so it can be identified from other fluids used in the
vehicle such as engine oil or antifreeze. The red color
is not permanent and is not an indicator of fluid condition.
As the vehicle is driven, the ATF will begin to
look darker in color and may eventually become
brown. This is normal. A dark brown/black fluid
accompanied with a burnt odor and/or deterioration
in shift quality may indicate fluid deterioration or
transmission component failure.
FLUID ADDITIVES
DaimlerChrysler strongly recommends against the
addition of any fluids to the transmission, other than
those automatic transmission fluids listed above.
Exceptions to this policy are the use of special dyes
to aid in detecting fluid leaks.
Various “special” additives and supplements exist
that claim to improve shift feel and/or quality. These
additives and others also claim to improve converter
clutch operation and inhibit overheating, oxidation,
varnish, and sludge. These claims have not been supported
to the satisfaction of DaimlerChrysler and
these additives must not be used. The use of transmission
“sealers” should also be avoided, since they
may adversely affect the integrity of transmission
seals.

Straight from the horses mouth. I would find out just what they put in it, and mabey make them flush it again to remove it.

Back