• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plumbers home brew rocker guards? yes/no

klonestar

NAXJA Forum User
Being a plumber I guess I often think about things from this viewpoint.

Any reason I couldnt or shouldnt make a set of rocker guards out of 1 1/2" or 2" black steel iron pipe and tees/90's ?

Threaded and screwed together and welded at threads to reinforce wall thickness from threading. Then manuf. adaptors to attach at critical points and welding or bolting on?

Now that im reading what im thinking I see a snag trap re: hitting edges of fittings on things. How about welding beads to angle up so no block edges?

Thinking and wondering out loud! Any other ideas along this line?

Thanks,
Ken

no reason why you couldnt' use black iron pipe for rockers but if your talking about welding it already why not eliminate the t's and 90's and just weld the pipe together.

I second ditching the 90s... if you can weld just use pipe.

Was thinking T's and 90's cause im better at screwing than welding! Actually, I was concerned about not having a drill press to cut/drill arched ends to mate to. Welding would be my prefference to eliminate thinner walls at threaded joints.

Just got a cheap mig welder (wire feed) and havent practiced yet so figured I might be better off "trying" to weld already screwed together joints than butt fit ones re: angles, etc....but do realize id get much better slide off capabilities w/o fittings. Guess its time to learn to weld! I have a dirt driveway and no place to lay parts together so they sit flat and even.

Its only an hour travel for me to purchase square/rectangular tubing to weld on. Have 5 minute access to (plumbers discount ) on black pipe tho.

Maybe could take pipe to a local shop to cut/drill rounded ends for me so the butt ends would match up better than anything I can do with what I have to work with.

Thanks again,
Ken

I agree with the strength concern, but if you can get it cheap enough, you can replace them once you bash em a couple times.

klonestar said:
Was thinking T's and 90's cause im better at screwing than welding!
:cheers:

There are plenty of redneck pick-em-up trucks running around with pipe bumpers. Try it, what do you have to lose?

Rev Den said:
I replaced my rockers with steel pipe. No problems so far, seem to hold up just fine.

Rev

I could use more info on that? Did you completely cut out the rocker panel? Bolt on or weld the pipe? What diameter pipe did you use? My rockers are a joke. (or rather whats left of them)

Thanks,
Ken

Frank Z said:
Black pipe is too soft, the tensile strength isn't up to being bashed against a rock pile. It will bend too easily. Use DOM or HREW, you won't regret it.

BTW, I'm in the HVAC biz and deal with black pipe daily, so I'm not blown smoke....

I agree so would go with minimum 2". Was thinking in using shorter lengths (more attaching points) as I know long or full length would be out of the question due to tensile strength. Am thinking at very most two foot lengths maybe even 18" lengths. Shorter is stronger in this case.

I appreciate the input!

Thanks,
Ken

2" pipe, yes I removed the rocker completly. I welded (if you can call it that) the pipe to the body, and my Tomken sliders.

Rev

PICT0010.JPG

Back