• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED Center Stop Light

CantonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of a non-OEM replacement center stop light that uses LEDs. I've tried just substituting an LED for the stock bulb, but it's too dim. I'm looking for the entire unit (housing, lens, etc.).

Thanks for any help.

maybe something of another vehicle? S-10 blazers have a LED strip as a 3rd brake light, However, im not sure if you have 97+ or not. i have seen them used on the older style Xjs but may take a little creativity to use it on the 97+ XJs.

CantonXJ said:
Mine is a 99.

Start here to figure out which size bulb the third brake light uses.

Next, check these links to see if anyone supplies a bulb in the size you need.

This is pretty much the procedure I went through a year or so ago when I was looking into replacing the reversing lights with an LED array. Doesn't work so well when your vehicle doesn't use a reflector inside the lens - just something to bear in mind.

casm said:
Doesn't work so well when your vehicle doesn't use a reflector inside the lens - just something to bear in mind.

Yeah, I've already gone this route and came to the same conclusion which is why I'm looking to replace the entire unit. Hmm, perhaps painting the reflector area on the stock unit with "chrome" paint might help.

Last edited:
CantonXJ said:
Yeah, I've already gone this route and came to the same conclusion which is why I'm looking to replace the entire unit. Hmm, perhaps painting the reflector area on the stock unit with "chrome" paint might help.

Tried something similar as an experiment: lining it with tinfoil, which wasn't terribly successful either. The problem seems to be that (in the reversing light position at least) the lenses are designed for a filament bulb that radiates in all directions in lieu of using a reflector. Since LEDs are way more unidirectional than filament bulbs, this gave worse lighting out around the corners of the vehicle. The lenses also appeared to absorb a lot of the light that was being put out by the LED array, thus further worsening rearward vision.

This was done on a 2000 using either a 31- or 25-bulb white array (19 or 25 main, 6 radial); I forget which, but can check when I get home later tonight. Either way, they should've been plenty beefy to light up what was behind me but just didn't cut it in practice. They did work pretty well in the indicator slots, though, but were even worse in the brake position. Red LEDs may have helped that but I didn't have any to test with.

the only LEDs i've used on my XJ are the front marker and park/turn signals with the clear lenses. i have, however used LEDs in the taillights on my scouts. they are not aimed straight on either and i painted the reflector area with the chrome paint. worked well and the guy who bought my scout still has em in there.

You could alway just add the OEM LED center brake light/spoiler from a UK Orvis XJ. :D
Not the easiest parts to find but I got mine from ebay. Looks like this:

xjeuro2.jpg

Here's mine:
dsc03771ms.jpg

Although it's a nice setup it'd be much easier retro fitting a LED strip from another vehicle. Early Blazer/Tahoe are the easiest.

JEEPZZ said:
You could alway just add the OEM LED center brake light/spoiler from a UK Orvis XJ. :D
Not the easiest parts to find but I got mine from ebay.

Woot! Found one, but he's currently out of stock. Have a look here.

Back