• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone ever had a check engine light quit working?

Jackhill442

NAXJA Forum User
My 2000 Sport just failed emissions because the check engine light does not come on with the key being turned. Anyone ever had this? I hope it is just a bulb. If so, anyone know the bulb part #? Is it hard to replace? Do you have to take out the whole cluster, or can you reach it from underneath the dash? I haven't had a chance to look yet.

happened on a yj once- we swapped the 'seatbelt warning' idoit light out and stuck it in for the check enigine...

That just means you will never have to "check engine". That is a nice feature.

yeah, that would be nice, but I can't get a tag for it until it passes an emissions test, and it won't do that without a properly functioning light. I will have to try the seatbelt light, that is funny!

Move the hell out of that state...can't pass because of a pi$$y thing like that, probably give you the "chair" if you had a headlight out. Prob. is just the bulb....do like the seatbelt idea.

I agree totally, all these gay ass regulations. Well, turns out, we just bought this Jeep, and someone had removed the bulb and socket, so I took the previous advice and put in the seatbelt bulb, and of course, the light stayed on. The battery sensor (of all the dumbass things) was bad, and we had to replace the battery to get it to work. Thanks for all the help!!

The dumbass prior owner didn't know that you're not supposed to remove the bulb. The proper procedure is to place electrical tape over it....

:)

Jackhill442 said:
My 2000 Sport just failed emissions because the check engine light does not come on with the key being turned. Anyone ever had this? I hope it is just a bulb. If so, anyone know the bulb part #? Is it hard to replace? Do you have to take out the whole cluster, or can you reach it from underneath the dash? I haven't had a chance to look yet.
It's possible that one of your fuses went. I can't remember which fuse it was (it was one of the ones under the hood) that made my check engine light go away and something else along with it.

Back