• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Hinge Problem

gmcelroy

NAXJA Forum User
The upper door hinge on my XJ has separated from the body.
I do not have a welder or a rivetor (required to install the Chrysler repair kit).
Could I just drill two 1/4 holes thru the hinge plate, thru the A-pillar and put bolts thru the holes and use nuts & washers on the inside of the A-pillar to hold it on?

I have searched this board and no one has mentioned this solution.

Any thoughts would be appreaciated

Seems kinda ghetto to me. I suppose it might work but I wouldn't do it. You can't find anyone with even mediocre welding skill near you? Mine did the same thing and I don't have a welder either. I found a guy that did. Brought him a 6 pack of good beer and already had the area prepped and the fender pulled so he could get in there with no problems. Took him all of five minutes. Call around. Even if someone charged you...it's not gonna be much.

Even though I have a MIG welder I wasn't sure I had the skill. It cost me a six pack and took 5 minutes to have a guy do it.

Midnight Krawler.....Where are you located?.....I'm in Tracy.....I may take you up on your offer......Thanks.....George McElroy

A somewhat unrelated question.....but I bought some later model doors for my 85 XJ. They fit, but a lot of air comes up into the cabin. I don't think the doors fit as snugly as the original (but the originals had rust..and I'm planning on having it repainted). Even when I close the doors.....they close....but they require a bit more force than with the original doors.

Anyway, could I get someone to do the same thing......but have them remove the brackets, the re-weld them so the doors fit better? Is this a costly fix?

See...beer is what makes the world go round. I raise my glass to all.

:cheers:

JeepDawg said:
A somewhat unrelated question.....but I bought some later model doors for my 85 XJ. They fit, but a lot of air comes up into the cabin. I don't think the doors fit as snugly as the original (but the originals had rust..and I'm planning on having it repainted). Even when I close the doors.....they close....but they require a bit more force than with the original doors.

Anyway, could I get someone to do the same thing......but have them remove the brackets, the re-weld them so the doors fit better? Is this a costly fix?

A Jfiscus says, you shouldn't have to weld to get your doors in line. There are basically four ways you can adjust them.

1: The shims in the hinges. This sets the basic horizontal tilt of the door. From the factory they come with one shim under each hinge. If your hinges wear and sag, one solution is to remove the upper shim and put it in the lower hinge. Your object here is to make the vertical gaps between door and fender, and between door and center post (or rear quarter on a 2-door) as even as possible before the latch comes into play to finish it up. If the shims are removed and the door is pushed too far forward, the latch will collide with the head of the latch post. So you might need to add a shim to the bottom without removing the top one. The shims are slotted so they can slide in without removing the bolts. You can make your own out of sheet metal if you need extras.

2: The position of the door on the hinges. There's a lot of latitude in the holes that allows you to move the door around on the hinges. It can take a bit of experimenting, but you can change the vertical alignment of the door in the frame, the degree to which the front edge of the door is flush with the fender, and the overall height of the door. Your object here is to get the front edge of the door as nearly flush with the fender as you can, not to protorude at either top or bottom, and to have it close firmly on the gaskets without requiring too much force. Also you want the get the whole height up where it belongs. It helps to have two people working on this so one can lift while the other snugs the screws. When aligning an older door, use the panel as your guide for in-out setting, rather than the window frame, which will often be out of line by itself (see 4).

3: The latch post. If you unscrew it a bit, it can be moved around. No matter how well you align the door, if it's old and saggy, it will probably not line up perfectly until it latches. You can use the position of the latch post to set the final position higher, or deeper, as necessary. Range here is limited, but it should make final alignment just about perfect if you've done the rest.

3: The shape of the door itself. After many years, it's pretty common for the window frames to be pushed outward a little. This will contribute to wind noise. It's not hard to rebend them for a better fit on top. First make sure the main part of the door is as well aligned as you can get it. Then just tug inward on the part of the frame you think is not in far enough. Take it easy, don't break it, and don't twist it too much. You can also use something like a two-by-four as a lever to tweak it inward, but I've found it's usually enough just to brace a knee against the inside of the door and yank a little. Don't overdo this. A very little goes a long way.

When I replaced my passenger door I noticed that both hinges were torn away from the body. I just cleaned off the paint and welded them up. I did this with the door off so it was pretty easy. I think it still can be done with the door on but might be tough to get in there to clean off the grease and paint. BTW I'm in Fremont, Ca

All Hail Matthew! That was the best write up (aside from two #3's:) ) on door adjusting I've seen. Been doing that for 15years since I managed a body shop so putting all that in one post was great. Better archive it somewhere! Better put the upper frame adjusting in bold, don't want a rookie to accidentally make some 1/2 doors!! On fragile ones I find that a 2x4 in between the door and the body gives enough space to tweak the top without "Oh Crap" happening.

gmcelroy said:
The upper door hinge on my XJ has separated from the body.
I do not have a welder or a rivetor (required to install the Chrysler repair kit).
Could I just drill two 1/4 holes thru the hinge plate, thru the A-pillar and put bolts thru the holes and use nuts & washers on the inside of the A-pillar to hold it on?

I have searched this board and no one has mentioned this solution.

Any thoughts would be appreaciated
That's what I did on my 93 XJ: Works like a champ. I took the fender off to do it.

Before and after:

hinge1.jpg

hinge2.jpg

Had to buy a 6" drill bit (1/4") and the bolts were about 4" long. Fender washers on the inside, drill slow and watch for wires. I did it with the door closed so it lines up perfect now.

Last edited:
what did you put on the other side of the bolts?
I'm considering bolting mine, as the top hinge is just starting to wiggle. If I bolted it before it tore off completely then it would probably be fine. Just need somethig to stop the wiggling so it doesn't progress.

87manche said:
what did you put on the other side of the bolts?
I'm considering bolting mine, as the top hinge is just starting to wiggle. If I bolted it before it tore off completely then it would probably be fine. Just need somethig to stop the wiggling so it doesn't progress.

I went with three different size washers going up to about 1 1/2 inch. Just kept stacking them on there to spread the weight around. I got the hardware at Lowes (Home Depot type place) total cost with the drill bit was under 10 bucks.

It's a one person job, you can reach both sides of the bolts to tighten everything down.

The problem with re-welding is ... it didn't work the first time.

Back