• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear install pattern check please.

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
I am installing 4.88s in an Isuzu D44. Right now I have .008 BL. I don't need a hammer to get the carrier in. I have no shims for pinion depth. There is a washer at the head of the pinion. If I needed to move the pinion out. I would have to get rid of the washer (it was in the original install) and use the slinger ring that came in the install kit. I would rather not do that, the slinger is flippin huge! My mechanic friend and I have our opinions on the pattern, but are currios what anyone else thinks.

So here you go. We did pattern 1, then moved the ring 180 and did pattern 2

pattern 1 drive side
drivep1.jpg

pattern 2 drive side
drivep2.jpg

pattern 1 coast side
coastp1.jpg

pattern 2 coast side
coastp2.jpg

It's late and I have to go to bed, but I am currious to see what you guys think in the morning. Thanks

P.S. Off the top of your head, does anyone know the pinion nut torque using shims. I went with 250 ft/lbs but not sure. This is for a D44 again. Thanks

Thanks 12ga. Anyone else??? We thought the pattern looked good. If we had to say anything it was that the pattern was a tad deep on the drive and a little high on the coast. This means pinion too close. We didn't feel that it is worth changing though. BL is on the high side, but we havent finnished with preload shims and depending on what we have to choose from might change that. Anyone else, please?

I would be more worried about the bl than anything else. Get the bl dead on and everything usually falls into place from there. The pattern looks good by the way and I wouldn't worry about the heel to toe adjustment quite so much.

Last edited:
Thanks Highway, that is what we think. we just wanted more opinions. We got BL in the balpark, we are going to tighten that up for final look.

looks good. is the pinioin bearings spinning nicely. drop it in then take more pics! :)

Pinion preload is good. We are going to press the pinion bearings on (using setup bearings) add some more shim side to side to tighten up the carrier, take a pattern. If still looks good, add preload shims to carrier, press bearings and do a dance!!!

Decided to go with final asembly. Pressed bearings. Moved BL out and changed pattern. Wasn't happy. Decided to move pinion out .005. BL is now at .009. On the high side but still in spec. Cleaned pattern up great. Decided it wasn't worth pressing and repressing carrier bearing to change BL, so we finished it up. Is there any reason to change it now? What do you think? Again pattern 1 is 180 from pattern 2

coast side pattern1
2c1.jpg

drive side pattern 1
2d1.jpg

coast side pattern 2
2c2.jpg

drive side pattern 2
2d2.jpg

Thanks for all the help

Where are all the gear heads? We could only move the pinion in .005. That is the smallest shim we have. (long story)The pattern was a lot worse before. It has been mentioned that I should tighten up BL. It is at .009. Don't really want to mess with pinion depth. If I tried to move shims to tighten up BL that will change depth a bit. Does anyone think it is nessesary to change anything? BL is still in spec, .008 is the middle.

Run it.

Thanks guys. It will be under my XJ next Thursday. I'll be doing my front 30 Friday!

Sorry, I don't get many chances to search NAXJA.
Pattern looks good, shows within spec and BL is good. the heel to toe placement is dictated by the BL.
You done good. go with it, have a beer and be happy!

Back