• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Slipping

XJFreak

NAXJA Forum User
I posted this on the OEM Tech side but no one responded. So I will ask for some help here. I have pulled the motor from my 91 this last weekend. While it is out I was thinking of what work I should be doing to my automatic tranny. It acts like it is slipping when cruising on the highway at around 65 to 70. It is fine when towing, stop and go, or the few trails I hit. Any ideas?

whens the last time you changed the fluid and filter? you're supposed to do that once a year...

describe the symptoms in more detail...does at some point the engine start reving higher, but you dont feel it pulling??? does it go solidly into gear when you crank it up cold??? And WhiteXJ has a good point...the fluid should be nice and red...if it's dark and stinky..you could have problems..now would for sure be the time to check it out.

Thanks. The oil has not been changed and is brown. It was also very low. The engine would climb in RPMs. So I am replacing the oil, filter, and while it is out will install a B&M shift kit to tighten the shifts. thanks for the input.

How "red" should the tranny fluid be? I had my fluid and filter changed just a few months ago. When one of my tranny soft line blew out a few days ago, the fluid that was coming out was sort of a rusty brown color. I've been having some intermitent problems recently with my Jeep feeling like it is pulling a load. The trans doesn't slip or anything, and all of the shifts are solid, But it feels like I have the Jeep loaded down. I have no clue what this could be.

Hey Freak..

Try using syn trans oil in your tranny... I switched over to syn oil at 185,000 miles it was slipping real bad thought maybe time for a rebuild. It now has over 206,000 and shifts better than ever...... best money i ever spent

Is it a aw4? because i think that there over drive gear is electronic am i right. If i am then it may be electrical.

Big Blue XJ said:
Try using syn trans oil in your tranny... I switched over to syn oil at 185,000 miles it was slipping real bad thought maybe time for a rebuild. It now has over 206,000 and shifts better than ever...... best money i ever spent

Should I do a power flush be for the syn install?

As a side note, after I pulled the motor, I pulled the torq converter and it had very little oil in it. Shouldn't it be full?

Back